Step 3 - Check required qualifications, experience and currency
You must have the required qualifications and experience to hold a gas work licence or gas work authorisation.
The current requirements are:
- Queensland gas work licence requirements (PDF, 598KB)
- Queensland gas work authorisation requirements (PDF, 452KB).
If you do not meet the qualifications and experience requirements, you will need to discuss your options with a registered training organisation (RTO) which may include training, recognition of prior learning or mapping.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you:
- meet the requirements for the gas work licence or authorisation you are applying for
- make your licence or authorisation application/reapplication within the required time.
Additional currency requirement for licence applicants
If you are applying for a gas work licence, you must also ensure:
- if you are applying for a new gas work licence that requires a Certificate III, you completed your Certificate III within the last 12 months
- if you are applying for a new gas work licence that does not require a Certificate III, you completed at least 1 of the required units of competency within the last 12 months
- if you are reapplying for a gas work licence, you have a current gas work licence or held a gas work licence that expired within the last 12 months.
If you meet all the requirements, you may lodge an application for a gas work licence.
If you meet the qualifications and experience requirements but do not meet the currency requirements, you will need to pass the approved Gas Work Trade Test (the trade test) at a participating RTO before lodging an application. This is to check that your skills are current before we will accept your licence application.