Petroleum and coal seam gas
The petroleum industry in Queensland exceeds $1 billion in production value. Like the coal industry, Queensland's petroleum industry has a large portion of foreign ownership. For example, our liquid natural gas (LNG) industry has investment from companies in the United Kingdom, United States, China, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands and Korea. The level of petroleum exploration expenditure in Queensland was $751.6 million in 2014–15.
Growth in coal seam gas (CSG) in Queensland has been rapid over the past 15 years, peaking at 1,634 wells drilled in 2013–14. This growth will support the more than $70 billion worth of investment in 3 liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects that will produce approximately 26 million tonnes per year of LNG from 2015 onwards. This represents a quarter of the global LNG supply coming from Central Queensland and places Australia as a leading supplier of LNG.
There is significant potential for this resource to develop further, with the growth in LNG production estimated to increase the value of LNG exports from $14.7 billion in 2012–13 to $57 billion by 2018 (Source: Energy Quest Quarterly Report, March 2014).
CSG production in the Bowen (Permian Coal Measures) and Surat (Jurassic Walloon Coal Measures) basins represents more than 90% of the total gas produced in the state. Many of Queensland's basins with petroleum or coal also hold potential shale gas, tight gas or CSG resources. This includes the Laura, Maryborough, Eromanga, Cooper, Bowen, Galilee, Adavale and Georgina basins.
Find out how we approach compliance for mineral and energy resources.
Production and reserve statistics
You can download 6-monthly production and reserve statistics (from 30 June 2016) for coal seam gas, condensate, crude oil, liquefied petroleum gas and natural gas. You can also download production and reserve statistics historical data (pre-30 June 2016).
Applying for a resource authority
Exploration and investment resources
For more information on exploring and investing in Queensland, see the following resources.
Queensland's petroleum and gas resources and industry
Queensland's resources industries
- Queensland exploration and investment resource package is a comprehensive guide for potential explorers and investors. For a free copy, contact the Geological Survey of Queensland.
- Read about investing in Queensland mining for information on investment support, exploration opportunities and current tenders.
- Search for applications, grants or resource authorities in an area using our free public search services.
- Use GeoResGlobe to view the location and boundaries of resource authorities.
Maps, data and publications
- GeoResGlobe, our online GIS service, has tenure, geoscience and resource information.
- The GSQ Open Data Portal lets you download large spatial data sets, maps and reports.
- Geological Survey of Queensland sells a range of maps, data and publications.
- QSpatial allows you to view and download geospatial data and information.
Holders of resource authorities are required to submit a range of statutory reports on their activities through the GSQ Lodgement Portal. After a period of confidentiality, these reports and data are made publicly available through the GSQ Open Data Portal.
Contact the Geological Survey of Queensland for geoscience, exploration and investment information.
- Last reviewed: 6 Nov 2019
- Last updated: 3 Aug 2020