Take our survey to help us provide the best possible support to your small business during COVID-19 and beyond.
Queensland has good potential to develop geothermal energy resources, with significant resources of hot dry rocks.
The Queensland Government's recently completed Coastal Geothermal Energy Initiative investigated sources of hot rocks for geothermal energy close to existing transmission lines.
A regional-scale drilling program identified regions with possible geothermal energy potential in the Millungera, Nambour-Maryborough, Surat and Hillsborough basins.
Coastal Geothermal Energy Initiative report
Download the full report – Queensland Geology 14: An assessment of the geothermal energy potential of northern and eastern Queensland – free from the GSQ Open Data Portal.
Applying for a resource authority
Exploration and investment resources
Queensland's resources industries
- Queensland exploration and investment resource package is a comprehensive guide for potential explorers and investors. For a free copy, contact the Geological Survey of Queensland.
- Read about investing in Queensland mining for information on investment support, exploration opportunities and current tenders.
- Search for applications, grants or resource authorities in an area using our free public search services.
- Use GeoResGlobe to view the location and boundaries of resource authorities.
Maps, data and publications
- GeoResGlobe, our online GIS service, has tenure, geoscience and resource information.
- The GSQ Open Data Portal lets you download large spatial data sets, maps and reports.
- Geological Survey of Queensland sells a range of maps, data and publications.
- QSpatial allows you to view and download geospatial data and information.
Holders of resource authorities are required to submit a range of statutory reports on their activities through the GSQ Lodgement Portal. After a period of confidentiality, these reports and data are made publicly available through the GSQ Open Data Portal.
Contact the Geological Survey of Queensland for geoscience, exploration and investment information.
- Last reviewed: 27 Oct 2020
- Last updated: 27 Oct 2020