CEI recipients and reports
Round 6 2022 Collaborative Exploration Initiative
Individual grants of up to $200,000 were awarded to 13 companies covering 16 projects under Round 6 of the Collaborative Exploration Initiative. The projects have received funding to assist with frontier exploration or innovative exploration concepts, aiming to increase exploration investment in Queensland.
View the map of round 6 projects (JPG, 444KB).
- Aeon Isa Exploration Pty Ltd is conducting a gravity survey to better delineate possible base metal targets, 60km west of Mount Isa.
- Aeon Walford Creek Ltd is conducting an electromagnetic survey to better understand structures at depth that could be important mineralisation conduits, 340km north-north-west of Mount Isa.
- Aozora UC Pty Ltd will be drill testing of 2 exploration targets to learn more about the geology, structures and deposit type at Templeton East, 50km west of Mount Isa.
- Great Southern Mining Ltd are performing an X-ray analysis of surface and drill core samples to better understand alteration and fluid pathways from multiple sites 115km south-east of Townsville.
- Lynd Resources Pty Ltd are drilling a 500m hole in a concealed, electromagnetic anomaly to test for the presence vein hosted mineralisation, 75km east-north-east of Croydon.
- Minotaur Operations Pty Ltd will be drill testing a potential zoned mineral system, which may be undetectable, using conventional geophysical techniques, 65km south-east of Cloncurry.
- Mount Cuthbert Resources Pty Ltd:
- will be trialling a non-conventional survey configuration to determine if mineralised bodies have previously been undetected with conventional geophysics, 100km north-east of Mount Isa
- are undertaking a high-resolution ground gravity survey over known mineralisation and prospective areas to develop models and geophysical characteristics of mineralised zones, 100km north-east of Mount Isa.
- Mt Dockerell Mining Pty Ltd will be drilling a 500m deep hole under the Mount Philip Haematite deposit to test a known magnetic anomaly, 55km south-east of Mount Isa.
- Munuku Pty Ltd are flying an airborne geophysical survey targeting identified anomalies related to the George fault, 70km west-south-west of Coen in the Cape York Peninsula.
- Native Mineral Resources Pty Ltd are flying a high-resolution airborne geophysical survey to better understand the structural geometry of copper, gold porphyries in the Northern Chillagoe Formation, located 200km west-north-west of Cairns.
- Red Fox Resources Pty Ltd:
- will be undertaking reverse circulation drilling to understand mineralisation and structural controls at the Ernest Henry West Copper Project, 150km north-east of Mount Isa
- will be diamond drilling to determine the mineralisation style to guide future exploration, 45km east of Georgetown.
- Sunshine Gold Ltd:
- are conducting geophysical exploration for intrusion-related mineralisation at Ravenswood West, 130km south of Townsville
- are field mapping and geochemical soil sampling over Elphinstone Creek at Ravenswood, 130km south of Townsville.
- Yarraman Metals Pty Ltd will undertake a soil geochemical survey to evaluate the performance of field-based X-ray analysis compared to laboratory analysis near Georgetown, 450km south-west of Cairns.
Round 5 2021 Collaborative Exploration Initiative
Individual grants of up to $200,000 were awarded to 16 companies covering 18 projects under Round 5 of the Collaborative Exploration Initiative. The projects targeted the exploration of critical minerals and were undertaken across north-east and north-west Queensland.
View the round 5 projects on the CEI interactive map.
- Multicom Resources Limited applied for a new Magnetotelluric geophysical survey for the Yappar Project west of Croydon, testing for indications of sulphide mineralisation.
- Strategic Energy Resources Limited has been approved for 2 separate grants for projects in the North West Minerals Province
- A drilling project will target base metals to expand on the geo data in the under explored area.
- A second project will develop a deep learning-based model to interpret basement geology from geophysical data.
- Chinova Resources will undertake a regional geochemical appraisal of a mineral prospective area to the south of Cloncurry.
- Mount Isa Mines Limited will undertake an airborne Electromagnetic (AEM) survey, supporting exploration by providing a high-quality dataset suitable for geological and structural interpretation and targeting.
- Red Metal's project, north of Cloncurry in the North West Minerals Province, will undertake a new Magnetotelluric (MT) geophysical survey.
- Round Oak Minerals will undertake a collaborative survey to help define exploration targets across the region, south-east of Cloncurry.
- Yappar Resources Pty Ltd will conduct drilling in north Queensland to test a target modelled as a large tin-silver deposit.
- Ballymore Resources Limited will conduct drilling in north-east Queensland to test a combination of metals in intrusive rock.
- NorthX P/L will undertake drilling activity to provide information to further understand new economy mineral occurrences in Central Queensland.
- Longreach No.1 Pty Ltd will sample and study rock formations in the Peak Range Volcanics to build up fundamental knowledge for future rare earth exploration.
- Moho Resources Limited will conduct strategic drilling in north-west Queensland to explore mineral prospectivity of basement rocks that contributed to irregularities in borewaters.
- Heathgate Resources Pty Ltd will undertake the following 2 funded projects in north-west Queensland
- an exploratory drilling programs to test the concept of rare earth mineralisation at the base of the Georgina Basin sediment
- a combined geophysical program of high-resolution gravity and magnetotelluric (MT) profiles.
- Teck Australia Pty Ltd will undertake drilling south of Mount Isa exploring the geology to test for lead-zinc and copper mineralisation.
- Minotaur Operations Pty Ltd will use a highly innovative technique to target hidden deposits. The data will allow explorers to see through sediment cover and pick up potential mineralisation information in the basement rocks.
- Thomson Resources Limited will conduct a 3,000 line kilometre high resolution airborne magnetic survey west of Chillagoe to help define intrusion related mineralisation targets
- Heavy Metal Exploration Pty Ltd will collect surface samples in the Mt Cobalt corridor south of Cloncurry, testing various sample types and analytical methods to determine the most appropriate technique for critical mineral exploration in this district.
Round 4 2020 Collaborative Exploration Initiative
Individual grants up to $200,000 were awarded to 24 companies, covering 25 projects across Queensland. These grants covered exploration of high demand commodities that include critical minerals such as cobalt, copper and rare earth elements.
View the Round 4 recipients on the CEI interactive map.
- Lynd Resources undertook deep drilling to look for silver, tin and other tech metals north of Georgetown.
- Dover Castle Metals searched for silver, lead and zinc and potentially one of the highest grades of indium in Australia using diamond drilling techniques on land approximately 150km west of Cairns.
- Red River Resources undertook low-impact magnetic surveys using drones on land approximately 100km south west of Cairns to look for silver, lead, zinc and indium deposits.
- Oakland Gold undertook further drill exploration to find gold deposits in an underexplored area around 150km east of Karumba.
- Red Metal used magnetotelluric survey equipment to undertake detailed mapping of some known zinc, lead and silver deposits in and around the old Century Mine near Lawn Hill.
- Sector Projects used diamond drilling technology to look for deep and high-quality deposits of copper and zinc in an area approximately 200km north of Mount Isa.
- Century Mining contributed to its magnetotelluric survey in and around the old Century Mine near Lawn Hill to help define more zinc, lead and silver deposits to potentially fast track to production by utilising existing mine and supply chain infrastructure.
- Mount Cuthbert Resources re-analysed historical surface samples for critical minerals in an area approximately 100km north-east of Mount Isa.
- Teck Australia:
- explored for lead, zinc and silver in Riversleigh siltstone 200km north-west of Mount Isa
- explored and re-invigorated an area approximately 200km south of Mount Isa for copper and zinc
- Red Fox Resources used diamond drilling equipment to test an area known as the Gipsy Creek Copper-Gold Project in north west Queensland.
- Capricorn Copper used gravity gradiometry techniques to survey an area approximately 100km north of Mount Isa in the hunt for copper, cobalt, lead, zinc and silver.
- Minotaur Operations employed electromagnetic survey techniques to search for large base metal and gold deposits near McKinlay in the state's north-west.
- Aeon Walford Creek explored for deep iron oxide, copper and gold (IOCG) in an area approximately 100km west of Mount Isa.
- Vendetta Mining Corp undertook deep drilling to look for zinc, silver and lead south of Cloncurry.
- Mawson Queensland undertook deep drilling targeting base metals and critical minerals near the world-class Cannington mine.
- Chinova Resources undertook one of the nation's largest regional electromagnetic surveys of a known and relatively underexplored tech metal area approximately 250km south-east of Mount Isa near the Osborne mine.
- Anglo American used new core scanning and geochemistry techniques to analyse core samples from the Diamantina region from mineral exploration dating back to the 2000s, approximately 150km north of Bedourie.
- Mt Coolon Gold Mines undertook extensive 3DIP survey over a silver and gold prospective corridor adjacent to the Mt Coolon Gold Mines inland from Mackay.
- Ten Sixty Four undertook some deep drilling to look for gold deposits in its Monteagle Drilling Project north-west of Emerald. The deposits, if proven, could tap into the well-established supply chain in the Bowen Basin.
- Longreach No.1 completed high resolution magnetic and radiometric surveys over a 400km2 area just east of Longreach. The junior explorer will use this data to look for porphyry and epithermal copper and gold.
- North X worked with CSIRO to undertake a mineral classification study of rare earth element mineralisation in the Peaks Range Volcanics, 75km north of Emerald. The study has potential to accelerate Queensland as a major rare earth producer.
- Metal Bank undertook drilling in the Wide Bay area to further explore several known targets of copper, silver, molybdenum (used to make steel alloys in engine parts), silver, lead, tellurium (a metal used to improve the strength of lead, copper and stainless steel) and zinc.
- Auburn Resources undertook an electromagnetic survey to undertake a non-invasive search to potentially open up a parcel of land in the Wide Bay area inland from Bundaberg seeking nickel, cobalt and copper.
- Earth Ray Exploration searched an area in south-west Queensland west of Cunnamulla near the Queensland and New South Wales border.
Rounds 1–4 Collaborative Exploration Initiative
View project details on the CEI interactive map.
How to access final reports and data
Once projects are completed, companies submit a final report including all data. After a time, these reports become open file and are made publicly available on the GSQ Open Data Portal. Read the timeline for release above.
Collaborative Drilling Initiative
You can access the exploration reports from our previous grants program, the Collaborative Drilling Initiative (CDI), on the GSQ Open Data Portal.
Maps of the projects that were supported under the program are available below for reference.
- CDI rounds 1–4 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- CDI rounds 5–7 (PDF, 382KB)
- CDI round 8 (PDF, 169KB)
- CDI round 9 (PDF, 255KB)
- CDI North West Queensland supported projects (PDF, 796KB)