Expressions of interest for exploration
The expressions of interest (EOI) process is now open to nominate areas of land for exploration and mining.
This process allows you to request that an area of land be released for exploration tender as part of the 2021 Queensland Exploration Program.
There's no limit on the number of submissions you can make. However, we ask that you only express interest in areas that you expect to bid on if they were to be released by tender.
Tenders for mining leases
Following legislative changes in September 2020, you can also request that an area be released for tender for a mining lease.
This change works in conjunction with the abandoned mines reforms to allow targeted release of sites that have been abandoned and provides opportunities to commercialise any remaining economic mineral resources.
Find out more about recent amendments to mining legislation.
Resubmitting a previous EOI
If an area that you previously submitted for consideration was not included in past exploration program releases, you can resubmit the EOI under this process. Resubmitting a previous EOI will clearly indicate your continued interest in the area.
Ensure you update the relevant details and supporting information, and include the previous EOI submission ID if you know it.
Preparing your submission
You will need to upload some supporting documentation as part of your submission:
- a shape file showing the area of interest
- BIM and block numbers for the area
- a map of the area showing the location of nearby infrastructure, resource projects, tenure holdings and any other relevant features in the area and its surrounds
- other information to support your EOI.
You can use GeoResGlobe to obtain a shape file of the area, BIM and block numbers and an area map.
Prepare your attachments, ensuring the total size of all attachments is less than 8MB. If the file attachments exceed 8MB, contact email@example.com.
If you are resubmitting a previous EOI, have ready the previous EOI submission ID (if known).
How to submit your EOI
Submit your expression of interest online by 5pm (AEST) on Friday 12 February 2021. Submissions received after this date may not be considered.
You will receive an email acknowledging your submission and providing an EOI submission ID. Contact us if you don't receive an email within 1 business day. See below for contact details.
Your submission is confidential. The names of those submitting EOIs and the details of the EOI submissions will not be released.
What happens next
All EOIs received before the closing date will be considered for inclusion in the next Queensland Exploration Program.
Note, some EOI submissions may not be included in the program. The selection of tender areas is based on a range of factors including:
- environmental, regional and state planning interests (e.g. constraints such as priority living areas and national parks)
- the area's prospectivity
- commercial and market considerations (e.g. interest in the area, proximity to markets and supporting infrastructure)
- competing land uses
- our current geological knowledge.
Other factors we will consider include:
- overall development of each basin or resource area
- existing demand for the resource
- Queensland's supply of the resource
- expected demand from Queensland's current and potential consumers.
These factors may mean that changes are made to the areas submitted through this EOI process and therefore the area released for tender may differ to your EOI submission.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +61 7 3199 7334 for help and information about exploration opportunities.
- Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date on competitive tendering, including the Queensland Exploration Program, upcoming tenders and the timing of EOI processes.
- Last reviewed: 2 Oct 2020
- Last updated: 2 Oct 2020