Expressions of interest for exploration
The Department of Resources is seeking feedback on a discussion paper, Improving Queensland's land release process, as an action under the Queensland Resources Industry Development Plan (QRIDP). Feedback we receive will help design the 2023 Queensland Exploration Program.
We welcome you to read the discussion paper and have your say.
While consultation on the discussion paper is underway, we’ve opened the expression of interest process to allow industry to nominate areas for future exploration.
The expressions of interest (EOI) process to nominate areas of land for exploration and mining is now open and will close at 5pm (AEST) on 24 February 2023.
This process allows you to request that an area of land be released for tender as part of a 2023 Queensland Exploration Program.
Preparing your submission
You will need to provide information and upload some supporting documentation as part of your submission, including:
- a shape file showing the area of interest
- BIM and block numbers for the area
- a map of the area showing the location of nearby infrastructure, resource projects, tenure holdings and any other relevant features in the area and its surrounds
- a rationale statement for release of the area, including its priority if you're making multiple EOI submissions (200 words maximum)
- other information to support your EOI.
You can use GeoResGlobe to obtain a shape file of the area, BIM and block numbers and an area map.
Prepare your attachments, ensuring each file does not exceed the 8MB file size limit. If you have an attachment that exceeds 8MB, contact email@example.com
Resubmitting a previous EOI
If an area that you previously submitted for consideration was not included in past exploration program releases, you can use this process to resubmit the EOI. Resubmitting a previous EOI will clearly indicate your continued interest in the area, and allows you to include a rationale statement (note: this is a new requirement) and update the supporting information.
How to submit your EOI
Submit your expression of interest online by 5pm (AEST) on 24 February 2023. Submissions received after this date may not be considered.
Once you've prepared your submission, you can submit an EOI online.
You’ll receive an email acknowledging your submission within 3 business days. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you don't receive a confirmation email.
Your submission is confidential. We won’t release the names of those submitting EOIs or the details of the EOI submissions.
What happens next
All EOIs received before the closing date will be considered for inclusion in the next Queensland Exploration Program.
Some EOI submissions may not be included in the program. The selection of tender areas is based on a range of factors, including:
- environmental, regional and state planning interests (e.g. constraints such as priority living areas and national parks)
- the area's prospectivity
- commercial and market considerations (e.g. interest in the area, proximity to markets and supporting infrastructure)
- competing land uses
- our current geological knowledge.
Other factors we’ll consider include:
- overall development of each basin or resource area
- existing demand for the resource
- Queensland's supply of the resource
- expected demand from Queensland's current and potential consumers.
These factors may mean that changes are made to the areas submitted through this EOI process, so the area released for tender may differ from your EOI submission.
- Email email@example.com or phone +61 7 3096 6191 for help and information about exploration opportunities.
- Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date on competitive tendering, including the Queensland Exploration Program, upcoming tenders and the timing of EOI processes.
- Last reviewed: 24 Nov 2021
- Last updated: 22 Nov 2022