Competitive tendering for exploration
You can now easily access current information on application processing times and other performance measures on the georesources tenure performance dashboard.
Queensland's mineral and energy resources are managed by the Queensland Government on behalf of all Queenslanders.
Before you can explore for or produce resources in Queensland, you must obtain the appropriate resource authority.
You can do this by applying through the competitive tendering process or in some cases by making a direct application.
For details of how to apply and terms and conditions, read our guides on:
- mineral and coal authorities
- petroleum and gas authorities
- geothermal authorities
- greenhouse gas storage authorities.
Competitive tendering process
Competitive tendering applies to petroleum and gas, coal and, where appropriate, mineral exploration.
Competitive tendering ensures Queensland's resources are responsibly managed by allocating exploration rights to companies that have the greatest exploration and development capacity for these resources. It also provides a fair and transparent process for awarding a preferred tenderer.
A rigorous process is in place to assess tender applications and select a preferred tenderer. The process and criteria are outlined in each call for tender document and typically include consideration of the applicants’ financial and technical capabilities and their strategy for engaging with the community.
Note: Preferred tenderers will need to meet environmental and other approval requirements (e.g. land access and compensation) before the resource authority is granted.
Tender processing times
This data shows the time taken to move through the first stage of the process, where applicants tender for the right to be the successful applicant. After the successful tenderer is selected they must then submit an application.
View data on tender processing times.
Previous tender outcomes
Previous call for tender documents
View previous tender documents below:
Petroleum and gas
- PLR2020-2 Tender details and process document (PDF, 1.6MB)
- PLR2020-1 Tender details and process document (PDF, 1.8MB)
- PLR2019-2 Tender details and process document (PDF, 3.9MB)
- PLR2019-1 Tender details and process document (PDF, 3.3MB)
- PLR2018-1B Tender details and process document (PDF, 2.7MB)
- PLR2018-1A Tender details and process document (PDF, 3.1MB)
- CLR2020-1 Tender details and process document (PDF, 1.6MB)
- CLR2019-1 Tender details and process document (PDF, 4.5MB)
- CLR2018-1 Tender details and process document (PDF, 4.5MB)
The call for tender documents prior to the ones above are available on request.
Expressions of interest for exploration
You can request that an area be considered for release by a competitive tender process.
- Email email@example.com or phone +61 7 3199 7334 for help and information about exploration opportunities.
- Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date on competitive tendering, including the exploration programs and upcoming tenders.
- Last reviewed: 7 May 2021
- Last updated: 9 Aug 2021