Queensland exploration program
The 2020 Queensland exploration program (QEP) provides a schedule for exploration opportunities for petroleum and gas and coal for 2020. The program outlines the tender process and provides details on the location of each exploration tender area and the timing of each competitive tender process.
The table below outlines the planned competitive tender releases.
For more details, download the 2020 Queensland exploration program (PDF, 773KB).
You can also view maps of the releases in GeoResGlobe.
- Once connected, select the Layers button on the left of the page.
- Then, follow the file path Add layer > Permit administration areas > Proposed advertised areas.
You can also download the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data files for areas identified in the QEP (before they are released as tenders) for petroleum and gas and coal via the Queensland Spatial website.
Table 1: Release schedule for petroleum and gas and coal areas in the 2020 QEP
|Tender release||Commodity||Call for tender||Tender close||Tender outcome|
|CLR2020-1||Coal (2 areas)||March 2020||May 2020||August 2020|
|PLR2020-1||Petroleum and gas (12 areas)||April 2020||June 2020||September 2020|
Prior to the release of the QEP, directly affected stakeholders (including landholders, traditional owners and local governments), as well as community groups and peak representative groups, were engaged regarding the potential exploration areas. The information provided enables stakeholders to be better prepared for participation in future exploration approval processes and negotiations.
We will continue to engage with stakeholders throughout the competitive tendering process.
At the conclusion of the competitive tendering process, a preferred tenderer must meet environmental, native title and any other approval requirements before they can be granted an exploration authority. When an exploration authority has been granted, generally the preferred tenderer must complete land access arrangements and any other approval requirements prior to commencing on-ground exploration activities.
The QEP continues to build on the exploration opportunities that have been released in Queensland since 2016 through the 3 previous exploration programs.
For more details on the previous exploration programs, download the:
- 2018 Queensland exploration program (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Annual exploration program 2017–18 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Annual exploration program 2016–17 (PDF, 1.0MB).
- Email email@example.com or phone +61 7 3096 6191 for help and information about exploration opportunities.
- Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date on competitive tendering, including the annual exploration program and upcoming tenders.
- Last reviewed: 07 Feb 2020
- Last updated: 07 Feb 2020