Queensland exploration program
The Queensland Exploration Program provides a schedule for exploration opportunities for resource commodities and greenhouse gas storage areas.
The Queensland Exploration Program outlines the tender processes and provides details on the location of each exploration tender area and the timing of the competitive tender process.
2021 Queensland Exploration Program
All industry expressions of interest (EOIs) received through the EOI processes undertaken earlier in 2021 were considered for inclusion in the Queensland Exploration Program (QEP).
The table below outlines the planned competitive tendering exploration releases in the 2021 QEP.
For more information, download the 2021 Queensland Exploration Program (PDF, 1.6MB).
You can also view maps of the releases in GeoResGlobe (note data will be available from 25 November 2021).
To add QEP data once connected to GeoResGlobe, please:
- select Layers button on the left of the page, and
- follow the file path: Add Layer > Permit Administration Areas > Proposed Advertised Areas.
Table 1: 2021 QEP proposed release schedule for greenhouse gas storage areas and petroleum and gas
|Tender release||Commodity/area||Call for tender||Tender close||Tender outcome|
|QLR2021-1||Greenhouse gas storage (4 areas)||December 2021||March 2022||May 2022|
|PLR2021-1||Petroleum and gas (8 areas)||December 2021||March 2022||May 2022|
Prior to the release of the exploration program, directly affected stakeholders (including landholders, traditional owners and local governments), as well as community groups and peak representative groups, are engaged regarding the potential exploration areas. The information provided enables stakeholders to be better prepared for participation in future exploration approval processes and negotiations.
We will continue to engage with stakeholders throughout the competitive tendering process.
At the conclusion of the competitive tendering process, a preferred tenderer must meet environmental, native title and any other approval requirements before they can be granted an exploration authority. When an exploration authority has been granted, generally the preferred tenderer must complete land access arrangements and any other approval requirements prior to commencing on-ground exploration activities.
Previous exploration programs
The Queensland Exploration Program continues to build on the exploration opportunities that have been released in Queensland since 2016 through previous exploration programs.
Details on the previous exploration programs are provided in:
- 2020 Queensland exploration program (PDF, 773KB)
- 2018 Queensland exploration program (PDF, 2.2MB)
- 2017-18 Annual exploration program (PDF, 1.2MB)
- 2016-17 Annual exploration program (PDF, 1.0MB)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +61 7 3096 6191 for help and information about exploration opportunities.
- Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date on competitive tendering, including the exploration program and upcoming tenders.
- Last reviewed: 24 Nov 2021
- Last updated: 24 Nov 2021