Requirements for ID scanning

Staff of regulated premises for identification (ID) scanning must each scan patron's ID from 10pm on the days you're authorised to sell liquor after midnight.

Before scanning ID, you should first verify it is genuine. Learn about checking hard copy ID and checking digital ID for all patrons.

You must scan ID from 10pm on the day before a public holiday even if you stop selling alcohol before midnight or 1am—for example, if Wednesday is a public holiday, and you're authorised to sell liquor past midnight on Tuesday, you must scan ID from 10pm on Tuesday.

You don't need to scan ID on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays if you're not open for business after 1am the next day (unless the next day is a public holiday). However, you can't decide to sell alcohol after 1am if you haven't already scanned each patron's ID from 10pm.

You can use re-entry passes so you only have to scan each patron's ID once from 10pm onwards.

Where to put your ID scanners

You must operate a networked ID scanner at each entry to your regulated premises. Approved operators can provide advice about the placement of your ID scanners, if required.

What staff who can scan ID need to know

Staff who can scan ID must know:

You should contact the approved operator for training and advice about operating the networked ID scanner.

Penalties for not scanning ID

You could be fined if you don't comply with your ID scanning entry requirements. Both the staff member controlling entry to the premises (including contractors) and the licensee can be fined. The maximum penalty is $1,613 if you fail to comply.

It's also an offence to try to ban an authorised investigator from entering your licensed premises unless you ban the investigator for their behaviour as a patron.

The maximum penalty for inappropriately banning an investigator from the premises is $32,260 or 1 year imprisonment.

ID you don't have to scan

You don't have to scan ID for:

  • employees, including contractors and entertainers (unless they're entering the premises as patrons)
  • people attending functions not open to the public—for example, a 21st birthday or a wedding
  • people who are eating meals in a part of the premises ordinarily set aside for dining (even if alcohol is served—or they're drinking—with the meal), in premises with
    • a commercial hotel licence
    • a subsidiary on-premises licence with accommodation as the main business activity
  • temporary or permanent residents, for example, hotel guests
  • exempt minors.

Also consider...