ID scanning in licensed venues
Licensees in safe night precincts (SNPs) who trade past midnight on a permanent basis are obliged to install an approved ID scanner at each entry to their licensed premises (unless exempt) by 1 July 2017.
If you are a licensee required to commence ID scanning and have not installed an ID scanner and associated system by 1 July 2017, you will need to prevent patron entry from 10pm on days that you are authorised to trade past midnight.
If your licensed premises is not required to install ID scanners, you may still choose to opt in to the scheme.
In this guide you will learn about your ID scanning obligations, including:
- which liquor licence classes are exempt
- whose ID to scan and when to do it
- who is allowed to scan ID
- acceptable forms of ID
- personal information and privacy obligations
- how to deal with privacy complaints
- how to deal with banning orders and positive results
- what to do if the ID scanning system malfunctions
- setting up your networked ID scanner with an approved operator.