People who must have their ID scanned
As a licensee of a regulated premises, you are only required to scan the ID of patrons entering after 10pm.
Regardless of whether you choose to close at or before midnight (on days you are permanently approved to trade past midnight), you will still be required to scan the ID of all patrons entering from 10pm.
For example, if you are the licensee of a regulated premises approved on a permanent basis to trade until 2am and you choose to close the premises at midnight, you are still required to scan the ID of all patrons entering and re-entering the premises between 10pm and midnight. You would also need to employ a licensed crowd controller during this time.
People exempt from ID scanning
You are not required to scan the ID of the following people:
- Employees of the licensee - this includes contractors and entertainers who enter the premises after 10pm (unless they are entering the premises as a patron).
- Persons attending a function at the premises - you will not be required to scan a patron’s ID if the sole purpose of their visit is to attend a function held on the premises. Examples of functions include a 21st birthday or a wedding, which are not open to the public.
- Persons attending the premises for the sole purpose of dining/meals - if a patron’s sole purpose for entering a regulated premises is to eat a meal in a part of the premises ordinarily set aside for dining (whether or not alcohol is supplied to the patron while consuming the meal), licensees of premises subject to the following licence types will not be required to scan a patron’s ID
- a commercial hotel
- a subsidiary on-premises licence if the principal activity of the business conducted under the licence is the provision of accommodation
- a community club.
- Residents of the premises - you are not required to scan the ID of a temporary or permanent resident of the regulated premises (e.g. hotel guests).
- Exempt minors.
- Print and display the ID scanning on entry and re-entry poster in your licensed venue.
- Download and display the Scan in for a safe night out (LCD screen graphic) on your in-venue screens
- Print and display the Scan in for a safe night out - we operate ID scanners at this venue poster
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Licence and permit enquiries
- Gaming compliance enquiries
- Liquor compliance enquiries
- Media enquiries (07) 3872 0920