Pest animal control methods
Successful long-term pest animal control on your property relies on cooperation with neighbours and coordination of pest management planning and control activities.
Integrated pest management recognises that in many situations, effective, long-term control of pest animals is best achieved by combining several complementary control methods.
Your local government and Biosecurity Queensland can provide expertise and technical support services to help you choose the best control method. Control methods may include:
- chemical control – using pesticides and insecticides to control pest animals
- physical control – using mechanical tools, equipment and machinery to capture, exclude or destroy pest animals
- biological control – using animal-specific diseases to control pest animal populations or protecting livestock with guardian animals.
- Read the A-Z lists of pest animals, which includes information on how to control particular animal species.
- Learn about wild dog control or read our wild dog fact sheets for more information.
- Learn about rabbit control for landowners in Queensland (PDF, 2.6MB).
- Find out more about feral pig control methods and strategies.
- Visit the PestSmart YouTube channel (CRC) for practical instructions on a range of pest animal control methods.
- Last reviewed: 27 Jun 2022
- Last updated: 27 Jun 2022