Business planning tools and resources
Save time and effort when starting your small business by using the Business Launchpad, a new digital tool that makes it easier to discover licences, permits and regulatory information tailored to your business needs.
Use these free online tools and resources to help plan, run and grow your business.
Business readiness quiz
Take our free business readiness quiz to find out if you are ready to start your own business.
Business start-up guide
Read the business start-up guide and follow these 7 steps to assess your idea before starting a business.
Business planning resources
Whether you are just starting up or looking to grow an existing business, make sure you have a comprehensive business plan that identifies all the important aspects of your business.
Your business plan maps your current situation, identifies your goals, and describes what actions you will take to move your business forward.
Use these resources to plan, write and maintain your business plan:
- business plan template – key questions and helpful links to supporting information
- financial spreadsheets – to help prepare your business's financial plan, including
- profit and loss
- cash flow
- balance sheet.
Read about how to prepare a business plan.
Market research kit
Use our market research kit to find key economic, demographic information about potential customers and statistical information about your industry.
Webinars and webisodes
Getting business advice
When starting a new business or growing an established one, a good adviser can help you reach business goals, negotiate contracts, minimise business risk, and much more.
Learn more about working with business advisers.
- Download a business plan template and read why you need one.
- Learn more about how to develop your business plan.
- Use the free Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) to check if you need any licences, permits, registrations or approvals to operate your business.
- Read more about starting a business.
- Learn how to create a business vision.
- Find out how to evaluate your business idea.
- Last reviewed: 21 May 2021
- Last updated: 27 Oct 2021