Resolve issues with your apprentice or trainee
If you're concerned with your apprentice's or trainee's skills deficits, training plan or training contract, we can help you directly.
But before you reach out to us, make sure you've read our tips for resolving issues first.
Misconduct and discipline
If you or your apprentice or trainee don't carry out your responsibilities under the registered training contract, you or your apprentice or trainee may be 'engaging in misconduct'.
Examples of misconduct include:
- either party fails to carry out a reasonable and lawful instruction, consistent with the training contract obligations
- the apprentice or trainee is absent from work without approval
- the apprentice or trainee doesn't participate in, or the employer doesn't provide, the training required under the training plan
- the apprentice or trainee doesn't keep or fails to produce, or the employer doesn't regularly update, the training record
- the apprentice or trainee is failing to make reasonable progress in their training because of deliberate neglect, or the employer doesn't report failure to make reasonable progress immediately.
Depending on the situation, we can discipline you and/or your apprentice or trainee with a reprimand or a fine.
Resolve specific issues
My apprentice or trainee just quit
Discuss options with your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider.
My apprentice or trainee has learning difficulties
Ask for extra support (that your apprentice or trainee is entitled to) from your supervising registered training organisation (SRTO).
My apprentice or trainee is falling behind with their training
If training delays can't be resolved with the apprentice or trainee, including discussing with the SRTO, the delays must be reported immediately to us. This must be done within 14 days of making the determination.
I can't afford to keep my apprentice/trainee on due to COVID-19
Find out your options if you can't continue training, or don't have enough work for your apprentice or trainee.
Business is slow and I can't meet my training contract obligations
If changed business circumstances affect your ability to train your apprentice or trainee, you can transfer, amend, extend or suspend your training contact. Read about making changes to the training contract.