COVID Safe industry plans
Stage 3 eased restrictions commenced 3 July 2020
All COVID Safe industry plans must be updated to reflect changes for stage 3.
For industry groups developing or updating plans, you must submit any revisions to your existing approved plan for further approval.
Eligible businesses can offer services to a larger number of customers than current COVID-19 restrictions allow if they are following an approved COVID Safe industry plan.
COVID Safe industry plans are developed by an industry peak body or representative group for businesses within that industry to follow. The plan must clearly outline how businesses will operate and must be approved by Queensland's Chief Health Officer. Individual businesses within that industry can then choose to follow the plan.
If your business is larger in scale (e.g. size and complexity), you may also be eligible to develop a site-specific plan.
COVID Safe industry plans are for businesses only. They must not be used by individual members of the public.
Read information for:
Approved COVID Safe industry plans
Find a list of approved COVID Safe industry plans. You can also find a list of plans currently under consideration.
For individual businesses
If you are eligible to follow your industry's COVID Safe industry plan, you can operate beyond the limits prescribed in the current stage of eased restrictions. You must still follow social and physical distancing requirements.
If your industry has developed a COVID Safe industry plan, you do not need to develop your own COVID Safe plan or checklist, unless this is required by your industry's plan. Check your relevant COVID Safe industry plan for further advice.
You don't have to operate according to your industry's approved plan if it doesn't meet your business' needs. You can choose elect to operate according to the current restrictions only, which may include completing a COVID Safe checklist.
Using a COVID Safe industry plan
To opt into using an approved COVID Safe industry plan, you should:
- check for your relevant approved COVID Safe industry plan
- complete the statement of compliance included in the approved plan
- display the completed statement prominently on your premises before you start trading with additional customers.
You do not need to be a member of the organisation that has developed your industry's plan to access and use the plan.
Read the fact sheet for individual businesses opting into a COVID Safe industry plan (PDF, 518KB) for more information.
If your relevant COVID Safe industry plan doesn't meet the requirements of your business, contact the industry group who developed the plan in the first instance.
Statement of compliance
If your business is following an approved COVID Safe industry plan, you can download and display a statement of compliance (PDF, 198KB). This shows that you're undertaking best practice as a COVID Safe business. Downloading and displaying the statement is not mandatory.
For industry groups and peak bodies
Industries that are eligible to develop a COVID Safe industry plan include (but are not limited to):
- accommodation (e.g. caravan and camping parks)
- arts and entertainment (e.g. concert venues and theatres)
- hospitality (e.g. restaurants and cafes, pubs, clubs and hotels)
- places of worship
- retail (e.g. beauty therapists, nail salons, tattooists, tanning salons and spas)
- sport and fitness (e.g. gyms, health clubs and yoga studios)
- tourism experiences (e.g. charter fishing boats, zoos, aquariums and 4WD experiences).
There will only be 1 plan approved per industry, to ensure consistency of safety standards and compliance. If there are multiple groups within an industry, these groups should develop a plan together or select 1 plan to submit for approval.
Read frequently asked questions: COVID Safe businesses (PDF, 380KB) for more information.
Developing a COVID Safe industry plan
A COVID Safe industry plan can be developed by:
- an industry representative group
- a group of businesses within an industry.
Plans should be developed in consultation with relevant unions, workers and industry groups. You must include evidence of consultations when submitting your plan.
A COVID Safe industry plan guide (PDF, 522KB) has been created to help you develop your plan and understand what health authorities will be looking for when assessing your plan. There is no official template for the plan – you can determine the format while following the information in the guide.
COVID Safe industry plans should include:
- checklists for individual businesses to follow
- best practice guidelines
- how relevant public health directions apply to your industry
- how to review plan effectiveness
- a statement of compliance for individual businesses to display
- additional information such as:
- a list of frequently asked questions
- contact details for further support (e.g. relevant unions, regulators and employer groups).
In some limited cases, you can develop a site-specific plan if your business is larger in scale (e.g. complexity and size).
The only businesses considered suitable for COVID Safe site-specific plans are:
- large outdoor amusement parks
- convention centres
- concert venues
- theatres and auditoriums with seating capacity greater than 1,000
Before starting to develop a site-specific plan, check with your relevant Queensland Government agency to determine if you're eligible.
If you are eligible for a site-specific plan, use the guide for COVID Safe industry plans (PDF, 522KB) to develop and submit your plan. Work directly with relevant government agencies if you need further advice.
Submitting your plan for approval
You should discuss any new or updated COVID Safe industry plans with the relevant government department, who will submit the plan or updates to Queensland Health for approval on behalf of your group.
Submit COVID Safe site-specific plans and COVID Safe event plans to COVID-19.Industryplans@health.qld.gov.au.
Phone 13 42 68 for more information or advice on developing a COVID Safe industry plan or site-specific plan.
- Last reviewed: 26 Jun 2020
- Last updated: 29 Aug 2020