Healthy HeadWaters water use efficiency funding
The Healthy HeadWaters Water Use Efficiency project (HHWUE) helps Queensland's Murray-Darling Basin irrigation communities deal with climate change and reduced water availability.
The program provides funding for on-farm projects in the basin. It is delivered by the Queensland Government with funding from the Australian Government's Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure Program, as part of the implementation of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan in Queensland.
Funding for on-farm infrastructure projects
Eligible irrigators can apply for up to 90% of the total cost to undertake on-farm infrastructure projects to increase water use efficiency. The infrastructure must relate to water storages, water distribution or in-field systems.
Approved applicants must contribute at least 10% to the project cost, and transfer at least 50% of the water savings (by permanent transfer of water allocation) to the Australian Government for environmental use. The 10% contribution may be made up of any combination of cash, 'in-kind' or additional water for transfer.
Twelve application rounds have been run, the last closing in June 2017. So far, more than 80 projects are currently underway, complete or in contract negotiation. These projects represent over 42GL of water savings and government funding of more than $99 million to irrigators.
The HHWUE project funded a range of projects to help irrigators improve their water use efficiency. Results of previous studies are provided below.
- Reports on centre pivot and lateral move systems
- Appraisal to identify and detail technology for improving water use efficiency in irrigation in the Queensland Murray-Darling Basin
- Farm level economic and financial modelling of alternative irrigation practices in the Border Rivers, Lower Balonne
- Farm level economic and financial modelling of alternative irrigation practices in the Condamine
- Modifying storages to save water
- Whole farm water balance - summary of data 2009-11
- Coal seam gas water feasibility study
To find out more about our projects, contact:
HHWUE project team
Tel: (07) 4529 1321
- Find out more about funding for agricultural businesses in the Queensland Murray-Darling Basin.
- Access water plans and other information for the Queensland Murray-Darling Basin.
- Read about the Rural water use efficiency initiative.
- Last reviewed: 29 Nov 2017
- Last updated: 23 Feb 2018