Drought Relief Assistance Scheme
The Drought Relief Assistance Scheme (DRAS) is being phased out.
If you are drought declared after 1 April 2022 you will not be able to access in-drought assistance under DRAS.
DRAS has been replaced by the Queensland Drought Assistance program. This program is now available regardless of your property's or your region's drought declaration status.
The Drought Relief Assistance Scheme (DRAS) has helped primary producers with drought-declared properties to:
- manage the welfare of their core breeding herd during drought
- restore their herds after drought.
Phasing out of DRAS
From 1 April 2022:
- new areas or individual properties that have been drought-declared cannot access DRAS
- DRAS is only available to primary producers that were drought-declared before 1 April 2022.
In-drought assistance offered through DRAS, such as freight subsidies for the transport of fodder and water and the emergency water infrastructure rebate, is only available within those shires that remained drought-declared, specifically:
- Diamantina Shire Council
- Bulloo Shire Council.
If you're accessing DRAS you can still:
- complete a Farm Business Resilience Plan
- access workshops, assistance and grants to help you with this process.
Areas that have been recently revoked from drought, still have access to assistance such as freight subsidies for:
- returning from agistment
Queensland Drought Assistance program
DRAS has been replaced by the Queensland Drought Assistance program. This program is now available regardless of the drought-declaration status of your property or region.
Once you access the new Queensland Drought Assistance measures, you cannot go back to DRAS.
During a drought
Assistance is only available through DRAS if your property:
- is currently drought declared
- the drought was declared before 1 April 2022.
You may be eligible for the:
- fodder transport freight subsidy
- water transport freight subsidy
- emergency water infrastructure rebate.
After a drought
Assistance is available through DRAS if your property:
- has had its drought declaration revoked
- that drought was declared before 1 April 2022.
You can apply for freight subsidies for transporting livestock:
These subsidies are available for up to 2 years after a current drought declaration is revoked.
- Phone the Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23
- Email email@example.com
- Last reviewed: 11 Oct 2023
- Last updated: 7 Dec 2023