The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.

South East Queensland service providers and customer protections

There are 5 council-owned water businesses that deliver water and sewerage services to South East Queensland (SEQ) residents and commercial businesses and they are subject to a number of customer protection provisions.

Read more about the customer protection provisions:

Providers subject to the code

The SEQ service providers subject to the code are:

  • Queensland Urban Utilities, servicing the local government areas of:
    • Brisbane City Council
    • Ipswich City Council
    • Lockyer Valley Regional Council
    • Scenic Rim Regional Council
    • Somerset Regional Council
  • Unitywater, servicing the local government areas of:
    • Moreton Bay Regional Council
    • Noosa Shire Council
    • Sunshine Coast Council
  • City of Gold Coast
  • Logan City Council
  • Redland City Council.

Customers covered by the code

The code applies to small customers of the 5 service providers and to relevant services as defined in the code.

Small customers are:

  • residential home owners in the SEQ region receiving a water bill
  • non-residential customers who use, or would use if connected, no more than 100 kilolitres of drinking water and/or reticulated recycled water per year.

Provisions of the code

The code sets out:

  • rights and obligations of SEQ service providers and their customers in relation to the availability of water and sewerage services
  • minimum standards for those services
  • protection for customers and tenants with special needs for an uninterrupted supply of water
  • protection for customers in financial hardship, including access to Centrepay, a bill paying facility for Centrelink clients.

The code also covers:

  • complaints handling procedures
  • mandatory information on water bills
  • meter reading and testing
  • concealed leaks policies and remissions
  • when supply can be restricted for non-payment of an account
  • accounts and payment options.

Dispute resolution services

The Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland offers a dispute resolution service for residential and small businesses in SEQ who use less than 100 kilolitres of water a year.

If a customer has tried to resolve a dispute with you as their service provider, and the dispute is about non-compliance with the code, they can lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman.


Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support: 1300 654 687

General enquiries: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)