COVID-19 alert: Read about changed restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 6pm, Monday 11 January.
Associated water licences
Associated water licences are a transitional measure, designed to ensure consistency in the assessment of groundwater impacts.
Resource authorities this applies to:
- Mineral development licences
- Mining leases.
If you applied for an environmental authority (EA) before 6 December 2016, you may need to apply for an associated water licence.
You will need to apply for an associated water licence if all of the following apply:
- the application area is in an underground water management area
- the project's take of associated water isn't authorised under s. 1283 of the Water Act 2000
- before 6 December 2016, your project either:
- had an EA
- had applied for an EA
- was a notified coordinated project.
- the project does not already hold a water licence or permit to authorise the take of associated water.
To confirm requirements for your project, contact your local business centre for advice.
How to apply
You need to make a separate application for an associated water licence with the Department of Resources. You cannot apply as part of your mining lease or mineral development licence application.
See the Application for an associated water licence (PDF, 272KB) for a checklist of the information and data required.
What happens next?
An associated water licence can only be granted after your mining lease or mineral development licence has been granted.
In making the decision about the associated water licence, the Department of Resources will consult with the Department of Environment and Science.
The time it takes to assess your application will depend on:
- the quality of the application
- the complexity of the project
- specific water issues related to the project
- the level of public interest.
We may publish a public notice about the application and seek public input into the assessment process. In this case, public submissions will be considered in determining the outcome of the application.
Contact us for further information on time frames.