Associated water licences

Associated water licences are a transitional measure, designed to ensure consistency in the assessment of groundwater impacts.

Resource authorities

Resource authorities this applies to:

  • Mineral development licences
  • Mining leases.

If you applied for an environmental authority (EA) before 6 December 2016, you may need to apply for an associated water licence.

You will need to apply for an associated water licence if all of the following apply:

To confirm requirements for your project, contact your local business centre for advice.

How to apply

You need to make a separate application for an associated water licence with the Department of Resources. You cannot apply as part of your mining lease or mineral development licence application.

See the Application for an associated water licence (PDF, 272KB) for a checklist of the information and data required.

What happens next?

An associated water licence can only be granted after your mining lease or mineral development licence has been granted.

In making the decision about the associated water licence, the Department of Resources will consult with the Department of Environment and Science.

The time it takes to assess your application will depend on:

  • the quality of the application
  • the complexity of the project
  • specific water issues related to the project
  • the level of public interest.

We may publish a public notice about the application and seek public input into the assessment process. In this case, public submissions will be considered in determining the outcome of the application.

Contact us for further information on time frames.


Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support: 1300 654 687

General enquiries: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)