Behind the bar RSA training videos
Watch these responsible service of alcohol (RSA) training videos to see real-life depictions of unduly intoxicated patrons attempting to be served liquor. Shown from the perspective of the bartender, several different scenarios play out, showing the do's and don'ts of refusal of service.
Use these videos as part of staff induction and refresher training at your licensed venue or organisation. When the pause sign appears on screen, pause the video for group discussion. Click on the 'discussion' links below each of the videos for discussion points around tips and tricks on how to handle each of the situations.
You can also download Behind the Bar refusal of service signs and LCD images to display at your venue.
Just one more
In this video an unduly intoxicated patron tries several tactics to get served more liquor. How would you deal with this situation?
Tips and tricks
0:44 Discussion 1
- What signs of undue intoxication is the young lady displaying?
- Would you have served her?
- Would you have considered cutting her off before this point?
1:37 Discussion 2
- What are your responsibilities in this situation?
- Who is liable to be penalised if an unduly intoxicated patron is served alcohol?
- What other potential implications could result from serving liquor to an unduly intoxicated person?
- In your venue, how does communication between floor and bar staff help identify unduly intoxicated patrons?
2:21 Discussion 3
- Would you have offered her a soda water at this point?
- Why do you think the bar attendant gave her a soda and lime instead of water?
- Was the refusal of service made clear?
- What different ways would you refuse someone service in this sort of situation?
3:18 Discussion 4
- Was it made clear that she could remain on the premises until her transport was organised?
- What are some other excuses you have heard and how have you dealt with them?
3:45 Discussion 5
- When ensuring the responsible service of alcohol and dealing with unduly intoxicated patrons, are your responsibilities different to the licensee's?
- If you were the licensee or manager of this venue, is there any other direction you would give bar staff around refusing service to unduly intoxicated patrons?
In this video, club member Jim is trying to get his unduly intoxicated mate served more alcohol. How would you handle this scenario?
Tips and tricks
0:46 Discussion 1
- Would you have refused service to any of the customers here?
1:48 Discussion 2
- What signs of undue intoxication was Jim's mate showing?
- When you serve a customer, how do you also assess the friends they are buying drinks for to ensure they aren't unduly intoxicated?
- What, if any, signs of intoxication could also be confused with disability?
- How would you have engaged with Jim to assess whether his friend did have a disability?
2:40 Discussion 3
- How would you tell Jim that his friend needed to be put on water in this situation?
- Would you handle the situation differently if there was a larger group of friends with Jim at the bar?
3:15 Discussion 4
- Should the fact that Jim is a club member change the refusal of service situation?
- Was the refusal of service for Jim's friend made clear?
- What are the maximum fines you and the licensee could receive for serving an unduly intoxicated person?
3:42 Discussion 5
- Do you agree with giving Jim's friend the option to leave in a taxi?
- What are some strategies for dealing with aggressive patrons?
- If you don't feel confident dealing with an aggressive patron, what do you do?
4:10 Discussion 6
- What other potential implications could result if an unduly intoxicated person was served liquor?
- Overall do you think the bar staff did a good job in identifying the signs of undue intoxication and dealing with it the situation?
- Would you have done anything differently?
You should be familiar with the procedures your venue has in place to deal with situations where you need to refuse service. Talk to your licensee or approved manager if you're not sure.
Test your knowledge again by taking the unduly intoxicated patrons and the responsible service of alcohol online refresher course and quiz.
- Last reviewed: 13 Oct 2016
- Last updated: 23 Aug 2017
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Licence and permit enquiries
- Gaming compliance enquiries
- Liquor compliance enquiries
- Media enquiries (07) 3872 0920