Approved operators and equipment
Approved operators are independent providers of approved ID scanning systems who have been approved by the Commissioner. Once the Commissioner is satisfied the applicant is suitable, they are approved under the Liquor Act 1992.
Note: An approved operator is not the licensee or staff member who scans a person's ID at the regulated premises. Licensees will not need to seek approval for an ID scanner. The approved operator is responsible for having their equipment approved by the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR).
To date, the Commissioner has approved the following companies as approved operators:
Eligible companies can apply to become approved operators of mandatory network scanners. The Commissioner will determine if approved operator applicants are suitable, and a probity process will apply.
Responsibilities of approved operators
Approved operators are responsible for maintaining and operating the systems that store banned information provided by QPS and the courts. Some of the responsibilities of approved operators include:
- providing regulated premises with approved ID scanning equipment
- transmitting banning order data to regulated premises for the purposes of enforcing banning orders
- ensuring personal information is not held in the approved ID scanning system for more than 30 days (except for banning order data)
- providing regulated premises with immediate access to a current list of persons who are subject to banning orders for that premises in the event of a system failure (manual ban list)
- complying with all privacy-related requirements as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cwlth) and the Liquor Act
- removing licensee bans from the system 30 days after a transfer of licence occurs, unless otherwise requested by the new licensee
- handling ID scanning system errors and malfunctions if directed by OLGR (the Commissioner for OLGR has discretion to notify only affected licensees of the directive to resolve an issue).
Obtaining an approved ID scanner
Licensees of regulated premises (or licensees wishing to join to the ID scanner scheme) need to enter a contract with an approved operator to obtain approved ID scanning equipment.
OLGR has approved the ID scanning equipment of the following approved operators:
- Scantek Solutions Pty Ltd
- IDU Technologies Pty Ltd.
- Download and display the Scan in for a safe night out (LCD screen graphic) on your in-venue screens.
- Print and display the Scan in for a safe night out – we operate ID scanners at this venue poster.