Demand for healthy foods and biodegradable packaging
Growth in consumer demand for healthy foods, organics, wholefoods and biodegradable packaging is an incentive for your business to create new food products or use new production methods.
Customers may be inclined to pay more for:
- safer food with a longer shelf life
- food that is certified organic or bio-dynamic
- increased nutritional value
- more appealing food with improved texture, taste or freshness.
Your business could benefit from food innovation incentives and support offered by the Queensland and Australian Governments.
Foods with added health benefits
Consumers are becoming increasingly health conscious and interested in foods with additional health benefits, known as functional foods, as a way of managing health concerns such as weight and high cholesterol.
Functional foods can be foods modified to promote health and wellbeing, fortified with concentrated ingredients or grown chemical-free to improve performance or reduce disease risks.
Organics and wholefoods
The global organic industry is a fast growing food category, with demand outstripping supply in most developed economies. This presents significant business growth and export opportunities for your business.
To promote your product as certified organic, you will need to contact an organic certifying organisation approved by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
Biodegradable food packaging
Design and construction of your food packaging can increase food shelf life and influence customer buying decisions. Packaging plays a basic role in keeping food safe and maintaining its quality, but companies are turning towards more biodegradable packaging options with less impact on the environment.
- Read about Austrade's food business growth opportunities.
- Learn more about innovation advice, grants and support and becoming an innovative business.
- Visit Australian Organic, the national peak body for organic industry farmers, operators, processors, producers and traders.
- Last reviewed: 5 Sep 2013
- Last updated: 18 Jun 2019
I want to...
- Space component supplier opportunity webinar 30/03/2023