Food and beverage industry
Queensland has a diverse industry renowned for producing high-quality, safe and nutritious food and beverages at competitive prices.
Queensland's advantage lies in its internationally recognised strict biosecurity measures and food safety standards.
About the industry
The food and beverage supply chain in Queensland includes a mix of small, medium and large companies. These companies operate at each stage of the supply chain.
Queensland's food and beverage industry ranges from producers of fresh, natural and organic products to producers of manufactured foods, such as ready-made meals, confectionery, additives and nutritional supplements.
The industry is supported by produce from Queensland's extensive agriculture industry, including:
Queensland's biotechnology industry further supports the food and beverage industry by growing and manufacturing foods with enhanced nutritional and health benefits – these help to promote a better quality of life and longer life expectancy.
Key business areas
- Fresh produce – fruit and vegetables, seafood and meat
- Value-added foods – desserts and confectionery, dairy foods and ready-made meals.
- Food processing – flour mills, canneries, packers, bakers, airline catering and pre-prepared meals
- Beverage manufacturing – breweries, wine production and non-alcoholic drinks such as sports drinks
- Retail and hospitality – supermarkets and convenience stores, grocers, delicatessens, restaurants, hotels, takeaways and cafés, catering for private functions, regular markets and stalls and retail bakeries
- Health and community services – hospitals, childcare centres, nursing homes, hostels, meals on wheels and catering
- Transport and distribution – warehouses, bulk food distribution centres, and dedicated transport and logistics centres.
Starting a food or beverage business
- Visit ABLIS (Australian Business Licence and Information Service) to find out what licences you need.
- Comply with industry regulations and compliance.
- Access innovation grants and support services are available to help commercialise and sell your products.
- Learn more about starting a business in Queensland
- Contact food and beverage industry associations.
- Last reviewed: 4 Apr 2023
- Last updated: 17 Apr 2023