Take our survey to help us provide the best possible support to your small business during COVID-19 and beyond.
Food innovation grants and support
Developing new food products can help your business reach new customers, enter new markets and increase profits.
To help you commercialise your innovative food product, you can apply for a range of government grants and incentives that encourage research and development.
Research and development (R&D) tax incentive
The R&D tax incentive is a program administered by AusIndustry and the Australian Taxation Office that encourages companies to invest in R&D activity by providing a targeted tax offset. The R&D tax incentive replaces the R&D tax credit and R&D tax concession and applies to activities and expenditure for income years commencing on or after 1 July 2011.
The R&D tax incentive offers a 45% refundable tax offset to eligible businesses with a turnover of less than $20 million per year and a non-refundable 40% tax offset to all other eligible businesses.
Find out more about the R&D tax incentive, including eligibility criteria.
Your food research and development may be eligible for grants from the AgriFutures Australia if your project will benefit rural industries and contribute to future growth.
Learn more about other innovation grants and support.
You can work with government researchers in purpose-built facilities to test and develop new food products.
By working with the Queensland Government's Innovative Food Technologies Group your business can:
- conduct food process development and trials
- have products prepared for market evaluation and research.
- The Allergen Bureau shares information and experience within the food industry on the management of food allergens to ensure consumers receive relevant, consistent and easy to understand information on food allergens.
- Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology (AIFST) is a national, not-for-profit industry body representing members from all sectors of the food science and technology industry.
- Nutrition Australia is a non-profit membership organisation that supports the promotion of scientifically-based nutrition information in the community.
- Learn more about innovation grants and support.
- Contact food and beverage industry associations for support, industry information and networking opportunities.
- Learn more about exporting: the basics.
- Find out about investing in Queensland's food and agribusiness industry.