The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Pacific Labour Scheme and Seasonal Worker Programme
Queensland has opted into the Australian Government's recommencement of the Pacific Labour Scheme and Seasonal Worker Programme to address the expected labour shortage in agribusiness, particularly through the summer harvest period.
Our main focus for meeting labour shortages is to attract and train Queenslanders. However, workforce shortages are still expected in this sector.
Agribusinesses may be able to seek an overseas workforce to fill some harvesting, field labour and processing roles.
Requirements for agribusinesses applying to recruit an overseas workforce
Application and approval processes are managed by the Australian Government, and only approved employers can participate in the schemes.
Quarantine arrangements will apply to any workers entering the state to protect the current labour force and Queensland residents. The number of workers able to enter will be limited by Queensland's quarantine capacity.
All quarantine arrangements must be approved by the Queensland Chief Health Officer.
To apply for an overseas workforce to assist with agricultural labour shortages, approved employers must:
- Read the guidelines for the following quarantine options:
- Complete one of the below application forms and submit it with a recruitment proposal and relevant plans:
To submit your form:
- for the Pacific Labour Scheme (PLS), email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- for the Seasonal Worker Programme (SWP), send via the messaging system in SWP Online.
- Last reviewed: 16 Oct 2020
- Last updated: 16 Oct 2020