Recommended settings for Google Earth
When using Google Earth™ for the first time, the following settings are recommended (accessed by clicking on Tools and then Options in the top menu bar).
3D view tab
- Set Units of Measurement to Meters, Kilometers.
- Set Terrain to Elevation Exaggeration of 1 (normal).
- Set the Navigation to Do not automatically tilt while zooming.
- Set the Display to Show web results in external browser.
Saving setting changes
After making the changes above you must click on the Apply button, followed by the OK button at the bottom of the form.
Improving the viewing speed of layers
Depending on the graphics card of your device, speed for viewing layers will differ. Performance may be improved by turning off the following options under View in the menu bar:
- historical imagery
- water surface.
Over time, temporary internet files build up in cache and can slow down response. To alleviate this problem, we recommend that you regularly clear these files.
To do this, click on the Clear memory cache and Clear disk cache buttons.
- Last reviewed: 18 Aug 2016
- Last updated: 25 May 2017