COVID-19 alert: Read about eased restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 1am, Friday 22 January.
Communications for pandemic risk planning
Find information on coronavirus (COVID-19) business recovery to help you reopen and grow your business as restrictions ease.
A pandemic requires a coordinated response from governments, businesses and other organisations, and individuals. This will not happen without effective communication.
Your business communications plan will be informed by advice from these outside agencies. It needs also to be coordinated within your business.
Your plan should address the information needs of your different audiences — staff, customers, suppliers and other stakeholders — during the 4 stages of pandemic planning. The intent should be to inform, not stress or alarm. Your audiences should know:
- what is happening
- what is being planned
- where they can obtain more information
- what they need to do, and when.
Key elements might include:
- regular news bulletins using a range of media
- information centres (call centres or websites) to provide up-to-date information
- facilities to cater for culturally and linguistically diverse groups and people with special needs
- special-interest articles (facts about the disease, basic hygiene, preventative measures, what to do if you are sick, how any antiviral medicine will be used)
- electronic information bulletin, advising planned actions of the business and responses required.
Key contact personnel
Senior personnel should have discrete responsibilities during the crisis. There should, for example, be a communications manager, pandemic manager (for antiviral supply, distribution of protective equipment) and a logistics manager (for crisis arrangements for key services and staff). Regular communication between senior managers is vital.
You should also know how to contact government health personnel.
Information kits, guides, templates and checklists
A range of information kits, guides, templates and checklists is available to help your business cope during a pandemic. Find out more about pandemic information resources including plans and guidelines.