Waste generator tracking obligations
A waste generator is the person from where the trackable waste is transported. This means that you are the generator if you produce a trackable waste. You also become a generator if you store, treat or otherwise process a trackable waste before you send it to another facility.
Trackable waste and exempt waste
View a full list of waste that must be tracked in Queensland. This list includes waste codes which must be included when completing waste tracking certificates.
You can also view a list of exemptions from waste tracking requirements.
Obligations for waste generators
If you are a waste generator, there are waste tracking obligations that apply to you:
- When you give the waste to the transporter, you must give them the prescribed information about the waste.
- Submit the prescribed information about the waste to the Department of Environment and Science (DES).
- Record and keep the prescribed information for a minimum of 5 years.
Note: It is an offence for a waste generator to give the waste to another person to transport unless the transporter is appropriately licensed to transport regulated waste.
Submitting waste tracking information
You must submit your waste tracking information using the following approved methods:
Record, submit and access information on trackable waste movements anytime using your Connect customer account.
Record, submit and access information on trackable waste movements anytime using the bulk upload data file submission using your Connect customer account. To use this submission method, you may need to enter into an agent's agreement with another waste handler.
Record and submit prescribed information using paper waste tracking certificates by post or email. In addition to providing information to the transporter, you must:
- give the WTC pink copy with parts 1 and 2 completed to DES
- keep the WTC green copy with parts 1 and 2 completed for a minimum of 5 years.
As a waste handler, you may be audited by DES to ensure that you are complying with your waste tracking obligations. Penalties may apply if you fail to meet these obligations.
I want to...
- Small Business State Budget 2019-20 Roadshows - Redlands 18/06/2019
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Cairns 18/06/2019