Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: We are currently updating information following recent Queensland and Australian Government announcements. Find assistance and support for coronavirus affected businesses and industries.

Changing, combining or transferring an environmental authority

Use our forms and fees finder for information on applying for a new environmental authority (EA) or managing your existing EAs.

The waste-related environmentally relevant activities (ERAs) have changed. These changes could affect your annual fees if you operate ERAs 20, 33, 52, 55 to 62 (whether as a prescribed ERA or as an ancillary ERA as part of a resource activity) and amend your environmental authority to change the threshold for a waste-related ERA or add a lot on plan or tenure (for prescribed ERAs and ancillary ERAs respectively).

Check the new Regulated Waste Classification and Waste-related Environmentally Relevant Activity (ERA) Regulations to determine if your environmental authority is affected.

In Queensland, any activity that is defined as an environmentally relevant activity (ERA) requires a licence called an environmental authority (EA). If you are the holder of an EA you may want to:

  • change or amend your EA (e.g. if you have changed your business practices, or have incorporated new technology in your operation)
  • combine your separate EAs into a single EA (e.g. to amalgamate several existing EAs)
  • transfer your EA (e.g. when buying or selling a business that includes a prescribed ERA, or when changing joint ownership of an EA).

You can apply to change, combine or transfer EAs at any time. However, your administering authority may refuse to process your application if you have any fees outstanding.

This guide provides information about the application process for changing, combining or transferring EAs in Queensland.