Dispute resolution and consumer protection
Queensland's energy laws ensure that all customers have access to essential electricity and gas supplies on fair and reasonable terms.
If you have a dispute with your energy supplier (retailer or distributor), first contact the company and try to resolve the matter directly.
Contact your retailer or embedded network owner if you have questions about:
- your contract, or disputing charges on your bill
- disconnecting or reconnecting your service
- your classification as a small or large customer.
The Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland (EWOQ) can help small businesses (using less than 160 megawatt-hours of electricity or 1 terajoule of gas per year) resolve disputes with an energy retailer or distributor.
EWOQ provides a free, fair and independent dispute resolution service.
- Contact EWOQ or phone 1800 662 837.
Embedded network customers
If you are unable to resolve your billing dispute with your embedded network owner, contact the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT). QCAT can provide mediation services for debt disputes.
I want to...
- Mentoring for Growth Days - Gladstone 10/04/2019
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 17/04/2019