Employing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
Employing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders can provide many business benefits, including access to employment incentives, training and support, and access to job-ready applicants.
There are a range of government incentives, programs and packages available for businesses.
Queensland Government assistance
Youth Employment Program (YEP)
YEP supports your business to employ job-ready young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders by matching suitable applicants to your employment needs. The Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships regional staff will guide you through the process of sourcing and matching potential candidates, hiring new staff, and providing post-job placement support.
YEP is an employment support program for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Queensland who:
- are finishing high school and looking for work, or considering further education
- have completed a Certificate III or higher and are not currently being assisted by a job agency.
Your business will benefit by:
- having access to different perspectives, experience and knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees
- improving cultural capability and ability to communicate with diverse suppliers and customers
- opening up a growing market for products and services (55% of Indigenous Queenslanders are under 25 Years old)
- being a workplace of choice by supporting cultural capability and workplace diversity
- demonstrating strong corporate citizenship by providing a positive contribution to the lives and communities of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders.
YEP provides support by:
- providing access to a pool of job ready, enthusiastic young applicants
- matching suitable applicants to your job requirements
- providing post-placement support to you and your new YEP employees
- linking you and your new YEP employees to other support programs, training and leadership opportunities
- promoting your job vacancies and opportunities via our YEPQld and Deadly Stories Facebook pages
- helping business and industry achieve improved engagement, development and employment outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Queenslanders
- increasing economic participation opportunities that enable and empower Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to contribute and share in Queensland's economy.
Apprentices and traineeship incentives
Learn about Work start incentives, a Queensland Government incentive to employ apprentices and trainees. Your business can receive a one-off $10,000 payment or a $20,000 Your Boost if you employ a Queenslander who has participated in certain programs.
Read more about incentives for apprenticeships and traineeships.
You can also check the Apprenticeship/traineeship out of trade register for potential staff who are looking for work in their trade.
Back to Work
Learn about the Back to Work Regional and Back to Work South East Queensland programs supporting employers who hire long-term unemployed jobseekers. Eligibility criteria apply.
Read more about the Back to Work program.
Indigenous employee retention strategy
Read the Queensland Tourism Industry Council's guide to building your business through mentoring – an Indigenous employee retention strategy.
Australian Government support
Learn about the Australian Government's Apprenticeship Network which supports employers to recruit, train and retain apprentices through their Australian apprenticeship support network.
Representatives will work with you to identify the right training and skills needed in your business.
- Read about taking on staff and finding the right people.
- Find out about contacts and resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses.
- Last reviewed: 21 Nov 2018
- Last updated: 21 Nov 2018