Employing mature age workers
It makes good business sense to consider how you can better recruit, manage and retain mature age workers, particularly as the Australian workforce ages.
Advantages of employing mature age workers
Mature age workers have often built up knowledge and skills during their time in the workforce, so they can help you:
- consider business operations from a different perspective
- pass on skills or transfer knowledge to less experienced employees.
Read about other advantages of employing mature age people.
Recruiting and keeping mature age workers
The Investing in experience tool kit by the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations offers some useful strategies to hire or retain mature age workers.
The toolkit includes:
- recruitment tips
- how to improve the language of job advertisements
- how and where to advertise positions
- suggested shortlisting and interviewing processes
- approaches to retaining people
- by redesigning work
- increasing flexibility
- creating career development opportunities
- promoting an age-positive work culture.
You can also identify how well your business employs mature age workers. Get help developing an action plan and learn how to make sure your business is attractive to mature age workers.
Financial support for employing mature age workers
You may be eligible for financial support and incentives for employing mature age workers.
Employer support payment
You may be eligible for an employer support payment of up to $15,000 if you hire an unemployed jobseeker.
Learn more about the employer support payment offered by the Back to Work program.
Workforce Australia offers wage subsidies of up to $10,000 for eligible businesses that hire or retain employees aged 50 years and over.
- Find other grants and business support.
- If you are a mature age worker, read information for job seekers over 45 years.
- Learn about flexible working arrangements for employees.
- Last reviewed: 9 Jul 2019
- Last updated: 31 Oct 2022
I want to...
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 30/03/2023
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 03/04/2023