Benefits of self-reading your water meter
Self-read of water meters
Metered entitlement holders for unsupplemented water in Queensland can submit their water meter reading online.
Alternatively, you can print and complete a meter reading form and return it by post.
- We will notify entitlement holders when water meter readings are due.
- To support entitlement holders, we have prepared information about the self-read requirements and how to read water meters.
- The video below explains why metering is important and how it benefits you and other water users.
The benefits of self-meter reads includes reduced costs to entitlement holders with the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy (DNRME) not conducting the meter readings. It enables the entitlement holder to self-manage their water use by submitting readings online or by post within the specified timeframe. Vital data is then captured by the department to protect water security for all water users.
Additional meter readings
There may be other instances where you are required to provide a water meter reading to DNRME. Examples include:
- at the sale of the property
- dealings which involve a tradable water allocation (sale or transfer)
- other special meter reading events.
Use the meter reading form to provide readings to us in these instances.
Managing your water use—water meters video
- Read responses to frequently asked questions about non-urban water metering for unsupplemented water extractions.