Reporting requirements for water service providers
The key performance indicators (KPIs) are designed to monitor and benchmark performance on these common industry metrics:
- water supply security
- service delivery
- financial stability
- infrastructure investment and maintenance
- demand management
- customer service and affordability
- cyber security.
The number of KPIs reported on will vary according to the size of the provider and the type of service provided (as stated in the report requirement notice).
Content of performance reports
The annual performance report will include performance data against each KPI in the report requirement notice.
The performance report may also include:
- a summary of any findings or recommendations in a performance audit report for the financial year
- a report on the implementation of an improvement plan
- a report about any action taken as directed by the Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water.
Audit of performance report data
Periodically, service providers will need to engage a third party to audit the accuracy of data provided. A copy of the audit report must be provided to the department.
The department will notify providers which year their report is due.
Service providers that only supply water for non-drinking purposes will not be required to prepare a performance report but must maintain their registration as a service provider.
Report requirement notices
The department will issue a report requirement notice to service providers which lists the KPIs they must report on in their annual performance report.
New notices will only be issued if there is a change to the KPIs or other reporting requirements.
Details of the KPIs (including cyber security) are contained in the definitions guide version 2 (amended July 2020) (PDF, 757KB).
Note: Version 2 has some minor edits that include the addition of some extra commonly used terms, corrections to some SWIM code references and an extra category for responses to QG2.12.
Submitting performance reports
Service providers have until 1 October each year to submit their performance reports for the previous financial year.
Service providers can submit their report to the department using the Statewide Water Information Management (SWIM) database or complete the departments's performance reporting template which can be provided upon request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The completed performance report must be published on the service provider's website as soon as possible.
KPI data for all service providers is compiled in a spreadsheet which contains data from the 2015 to 2019 financial years:
- Anomalous data has been removed from the dataset, as indicated by RD.
- Missing data, as reported by the service provider, is shown as MD.
- Data that is not relevant, as reported by the service provider is shown as NR.
- Indicators with a CPI suffix show that the data has been adjusted for inflation.