The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Improvement plans for water service providers
If an investigation reveals risks to water security or service continuity, the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy will issue a show cause notice and consider any responses from the provider.
If the department is not satisfied that adequate measures are in place, a service provider may be required to develop and implement an improvement plan. This plan will address how the identified risks to water security or service continuity will be managed.
If an improvement plan is required
If the provider is required to make an improvement plan, an improvement notice together with an information notice about the decision, will be sent to the provider. The improvement notice will specify the outcomes that must be achieved by implementing the plan and the time frames for providing a copy of the improvement plan to us.
The types of issues that might need to be addressed in an improvement plan could include:
- a projected lack of capacity of sewerage or water treatment plants to meet demand
- insufficient water supply remaining to meet anticipated demand with no contingency plan in place
- unmanaged high levels of leakage and system losses
- unusual levels of interruptions of service delivery to customers.
Contents of an improvement plan
An improvement plan will detail:
- how the provider intends to address the relevant recommendations from an investigation
- the funding options for addressing the recommendations
- the time frames for implementation
- requirements for reporting on implementation.
A service provider must comply with the notice to develop an improvement plan unless the relevant service provider has a reasonable excuse.
Reporting on an improvement plan
A service provider is required to report on the implementation of any improvement plan in their annual performance report. An audit of the key performance indicator data in a performance report does not need to consider any information supplied about the implementation of an improvement plan.