Community and stakeholder information about exploration
We aim to provide timely and meaningful engagement with communities who are, or may be, affected by exploration and mining activities.
Notifying communities of upcoming exploration tenders
We provide directly affected landholders and other key stakeholders – including native title representatives, local governments and key community groups – with advance notice of land that will be released via competitive tender for potential future resource exploration, including information to help them understand the process.
The information provided includes:
- an explanation of the Queensland Exploration Program (QEP) and its purpose
- the intersect where a landholder's property is located within a QEP tender area and landholders' rights
- information about the QEP tender process, approval process and land access, as well as notification of the opening of tender processes (gazettal of each 'call for tenders')
- obligations of exploration companies
- where to find more information.
Achieving coexistence between industry and landholders or other impacted stakeholders is important to ensure the future of the resources sector. To support this, the advance notices include information about the recently released coexistence principles. These principles outline government's expectations for behaviours between resource companies and landholders, and aim to support mutually beneficial relationships between all parties.
The coexistence principles are part of the Land Access Code.
Notifying communities of tender process outcomes
Following the competitive tender process, stakeholders are advised about the tender outcome and if the tender is awarded, who has been appointed as the preferred tenderer for each exploration tender area.
The successful tenderer will be required to go through an application process for a relevant resource authority, including first meeting environmental obligations and addressing native title requirements. It is only once a resource authority has been granted that on-ground activity may commence, and then only once land access arrangements have been made.
New GeoResGlobe topic for QEP – coming soon
A new GeoResGlobe topic will be release shortly to help landholders and other users identify if a property is directly affected by the release of the 2023 QEP.
This topic includes useful mapping layers and is accompanied by a video tutorial that provides guidance on how to use GeoResGlobe to explore the QEP.
The tutorial will show users how to:
- search for a property
- identify land released through the QEP
- and view resources activities either on or near their property.
You will be able to access the new topic by visiting the GeoResGlobe and searching for Queensland Exploration Program.
Key stakeholder groups
At each point of the process, directly affected stakeholders and peak body groups are given the opportunity to ask questions and seek clarification, and provide any feedback that can be used for future land release development.
Stakeholders include the following organisations.
- Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association
- Association of Mining and Exploration Companies
- Queensland Resources Council
- Queensland Exploration Council
- AgForce Queensland
- Queensland Farmers' Federation
- Environmental Defenders Office
- Regional natural resource management groups
Native title stakeholders
- Queensland South Native Title Services
- North Queensland Land Council
Local government stakeholders
- Local Government Association of Queensland
Government authority stakeholders
- GasFields Commission Queensland
- Land Access Ombudsman
- Email email@example.com or phone +61 7 3096 6191 for help and information about exploration opportunities.
- Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date on competitive tendering, including the exploration program and upcoming tenders.
- Request that an area be considered for future exploration programs.
- Find out about the competitive tendering process.
- View current tenders for exploration.
- Last reviewed: 24 Feb 2023
- Last updated: 8 Sep 2023