Metalliferous and industrial minerals
The value of metalliferous mining to Queensland is significant at over $8.3 billion.
The north and north-west Queensland mineral provinces contain most of Queensland's metalliferous mines. The north-west region alone produces more than 71% of the value of metalliferous minerals recovered in Queensland. These regions are world-class in terms of their base metals and industrial minerals production and there are new possible mineral projects across a range of commodities and potential for more discoveries.
Queensland has over half of Australia's demonstrated economic resources of lead (57%), zinc (55%) and silver (59%), respectively, and 57% and 13% of Australia's demonstrated economic resources of bauxite and copper. Australia also has the world's largest economic demonstrated resources of gold, of which Queensland has 5.3%.
In addition, the Kunwarara deposit in central Queensland is the world's largest known source of ultrafine-grain cryptocrystalline to microcrystalline magnesite and Phosphate Hill is Australia's leading phosphate mine.
Production and sales statistics
You can download mineral production and sales statistics compiled from yearly returns submitted by industry. To request historical information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 7 3199 7915.
Applying for a resource authority
Exploration and investment resources
For more information on exploring and investing in Queensland, see the following resources.
Queensland's mineral resources and industry
- Queensland's metalliferous and industrial minerals (PDF, 7.7MB) (guide to individual mineral mines and projects)
- Queensland's significant mineral mines, advanced mineral projects and new intersections (PDF, 2.9MB)
- Queensland minerals (major mineral resources mines and prospects)
- Minerals and Energy Resources: annual outlook profile for Queensland's priority commodities - Copper (PDF, 592KB)
Queensland's resources industries
- Queensland exploration and investment resource package is a comprehensive guide for potential explorers and investors. For a free copy, contact the Geological Survey of Queensland hotline.
- Read our investing in Queensland mining guide for information on investment support, exploration opportunities and current tenders.
- Search for applications, grants or resource authorities in an area using our free public search services.
- Use MinesOnlineMaps to view the location and boundaries of resource authorities.
Maps, data and publications
- MinesOnlineMaps, our online GIS service, has tenure, geoscience and resource information.
- QDEX Data lets you download large spatial data sets.
- QDEX Reports has geological maps and reports to download free of charge.
- Geological Survey of Queensland sells a range of maps, data and publications.
- The Resources Queensland mobile app lets you access investment information from your mobile device.
Holders of resource authorities are required to submit a range of statutory reports on their activities. After a period of confidentiality, these reports and data are made publicly available through QDEX Reports.
Contact the Geological Survey of Queensland for geoscience, exploration and investment information.
- Last reviewed: 31 Aug 2016
- Last updated: 23 Feb 2018