Application process for new liquor licences
How to apply for a new liquor licence
Once you have worked out what type of liquor licence you need, you will then need to find that licence on the Australian Business Licence and Information service (ABLIS) website.
Note: Click on your licence type on page 2 of this guide to go directly to the correct ABLIS page.
ABLIS has more detailed information about each licence type, including:
- how to apply for a liquor licence (with links to application forms)
- application fees and charges
- ongoing fees and charges
- how to update, transfer or surrender a liquor licence or permit.
Follow the process described on ABLIS to apply for a liquor licence or permit.
Fees and charges
Each liquor licence has its own application fees, annual licence fees and other charges. These are outlined on the ABLIS page for each licence.
Once you have lodged your application forms, you may be required to place an advertisement outside your licensed premises.
Read more about advertising liquor licence applications.
Approval process for new liquor licence applications
The Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR) grants licences based on whether you are a 'fit and proper' person to hold a liquor licence. Read Guideline 07: Fit and proper or suitable person for more information
The community impact, public objections and submissions (if any) and the suitability of the premises will also influence OLGR's decision to grant a licence.
If your application is refused, you can lodge a request for review with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Processing times for new liquor licence applications
Applications for new licences take 4-6 months to process, or longer if there are public objections.
- Contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation for more information.
- Learn more about compliance for liquor licensees.
- Read the Liquor Act 1992.
- Read the Wine Industry Act 1994.
- Access our online client portal (if you already hold a liquor licence) to pay your licence fees and manage your licence details.
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Licence and permit enquiries
1300 072 322
- Gaming compliance enquiries
- Liquor compliance enquiries
- Media enquiries (07) 3738 8556