Permanent changes to liquor licences

If you already hold a Queensland liquor licence and want to change or extend your licence, you will need to apply for a permit or change to your liquor licence.

If you are a non-proprietary organisation wanting to serve alcohol temporarily or at a special event, you may need to apply for a permit. (Note: Under certain circumstances you may be exempt from this requirement).

The following liquor permits and changes to liquor licenses are available under the Liquor Act 1992 and the Wine Industry Act 1994.

Permanent change to a liquor licence

Extended trading hours (ongoing)

To permanently change your trading hours, apply for approved extended trading hours.

Permanent variation of licence conditions

To change the conditions of your liquor licence, apply for a permanent variation of licence.

Alterations and additions to licensed premises

An application is required when you propose to make alterations without any change to the licensed area description (e.g. remove a wall, lengthen a bar).

Increase or decrease of licensed area (permanent)

If you plan to permanently increase or decrease the licensed area and/or alter or rebuild it in a way that will affect the licensed area description, you will need approval.

Off-premises catering

If you hold a commercial other subsidiary on-premises licence or commercial hotel licence, apply for off-premises catering (i.e. catering for functions held away from the main licensed premises).

Detached bottle shops

You can apply to operate up to 3 detached bottle shops away from the main premises, if you hold a commercial hotel licence.

Satellite cellar door

If you hold a wine producer licence, apply for a satellite cellar door to sell or give away your wine on other premises.

Gratuitous supply of liquor

You can apply to have an area of a licensed premises designated for gratuitous supply of liquor after approved trading hours. Find out more by reading Guideline 31: Gratuitous supply of liquor.

Sell and supply craft beer at promotional events (craft beer producer endorsement)

If you hold a commercial producer/wholesaler licence and related to a craft brewery, you may apply to sell and/or supply craft beer at promotional events. If you are an interstate craft brewery, you will need a craft beer producer permit.

Also consider...