Aerial distribution contractor licence

About the aerial distribution contractor licence

Any person or organisation that is in the business of aerial distribution of agricultural chemicals, or directs or authorises an aircraft to be used to do so, must hold an aerial distribution contractor licence issued under the Agricultural Chemicals Distribution Control Act 1966.

A licensed aerial distribution contractor may also distribute herbicides from ground equipment, or direct or authorise ground equipment to be used to do so.

Apply for an aerial distribution contractor licence

If you wish to obtain an aerial distribution contractor licence, you must first hold a licence to do aerial work, issued by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority:

  • for manned aircraft this is an air operator certificate (AOC), endorsed to conduct aerial application operations.
  • for an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) you need an unmanned aerial vehicle operator's certificate (UOC) or a remotely piloted aircraft operator's certificate (ReOC) approved for aerial work operations.

To apply once you are qualified, complete the online application for a licence and pay the prescribed fee.

This licence is issued for either a 1 or 3 year period, which you nominate when you apply.

Note: You cannot carry out aerial distribution unless you do so under the direction or authority of a licensed aerial distribution contractor. Any aerial distribution contractor must hold an aerial distribution contractor licence. Learn more about applying for an aerial distribution contractor licence.

Renewal of existing licences

If you have an email address recorded against your licence you will receive an automated notification 60 days prior to expiry date. However, you can also renew within the 60 day period using the online renewal form.

You will need your licence number to use the online renewal link. If you don’t know your number you can find this by using the chemical application licence register.

If your licence has expired, you cannot renew your licence and must apply for a new one.

Change of licence details

It is a requirement under the Agricultural Chemicals Distribution Control Act 1966 that licensees notify the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) of any changes within 21 days.

To update your licence details, use the change request form. If you are renewing your licence, the renewal form also provides for changes to details.

If you cannot apply online, contact our Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23.