Animal use statistics report
The Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 (ACPA) requires anyone registered to use animals for scientific purposes in Queensland to submit an annual report to Biosecurity Queensland on their animal use.
You must submit your animal use statistics (AUS) report on or before 31 May each year for animals used in the previous calendar year.
The animals you need to report
You need to report animals as defined in ACPA. This includes:
- any live vertebrate, including amphibians, birds, fish, mammals and reptiles
- all species of the class Cephalopoda (octopi, squid, cuttlefish and nautilus)—cephalopods were granted legal status as animals in Queensland as of 21 July 2006
- live pre-natal or pre-hatched creatures in the last half of gestation, such as:
- a mammalian or reptilian foetus
- mammalian or reptilian young
- pre-hatched avian
- live marsupial young
- the remains of an animal that was killed for a scientific purpose.
Human beings and human foetuses are not animals, nor are the eggs, spat or spawn of fish.
Guidelines for submitting your AUS report
The Guidelines for completing the 2022 animal use statistics report provide all the information you need to report your animal use for 2021 to Biosecurity Queensland.
Read the guidelines carefully before completing the appropriate AUS report format.
The guidelines contain information on:
- who needs to submit an AUS report
- which AUS report format to use
- how to submit a NIL AUS report if no animals were used during the reporting period
- downloading, troubleshooting and submitting the AUS report
- how to complete the AUS report spreadsheets
- explanations for the categories used in the AUS report
- who to contact for assistance.
General instructions for completing the AUS report
If you are submitting your report to Biosecurity Queensland, you must complete 1 of the following spreadsheets.
- If you are reporting on behalf of a primary or secondary school or college, complete only Format 1: Biosecurity Queensland animal use statistics school report (XLSM, 142KB).
- All other registrants must complete Format 2: Biosecurity Queensland animal use statistics report (XLSM, 133KB).
To save each file, you will need to:
- right-click on the link above and click 'Open the link in new tab or new window'
- open the file from the Downloads
- click on the 'Enable Editing' button (at the top of the workbook)
- save the file as an Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook to a folder on your computer or network.