Coronavirus (COVID-19): Forestry services
We are still open for business; however, the operating hours for some of our offices has changed.
Our field staff continue to work and are taking appropriate precautions.
Cocowood processing manual
The Cocowood processing manual (PDF, 1.5MB) describes best practice for producing high-value flooring products from coconut wood or 'cocowood'. It meets international standards for flooring products and recognises the specific, local conditions of the Pacific Islands.
These technical guidelines are based on the research of the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) project: Improving value and marketability of coconut wood.
This manual is intended for operators skilled in timber processing who need to work with the unusual properties of cocowood. It specifies where cocowood processes differ from standard practice for timber. For other processes, refer to the relevant standards set by the importing country.
Using the manual
The manual is divided into 3 sections. Each section adds to different aspects of primary and secondary processing.
- Overview of the best practice steps for harvesting and processing cocowood.
- Glossary of terms specifically associated with processing cocowood.
- Section on managing processing risks.
- Cocowood's unique properties and how they relate to critical processing techniques.
- Processing methods in more detail with explanation of why these practices are essential.
- More information, including:
- current standards
- useful publications.
Manufacturing rotary veneer from small logs
This guide provides technical information about producing veneer from small logs, rotary peeling, veneer production, manufacturing, grading and protecting rotary-peeled veneer products. The guide draws on outcomes from several years of wood processing research with chapters covering:
- Manufacturing rotary veneer and veneer products – an overview
- Rotary-peeled products: advantages and uses
- Log specifications, grading and pre-processing
- Rotary peeling
- Veneer clipping and drying
- Veneer grading and upgrading
- Veneer quality control
- Veneer recovery
- Product manufacture
Read the guide to manufacturing rotary veneer and products from small logs.