Building laws and codes
Current laws and regulations
- Building Act 1975 – Queensland's building legislation
- Building Regulation 2006 – building regulations related to the Queensland Building Act 1975
Current codes and standards
Queensland Development Code
The Queensland Development Code consolidates Queensland-specific building standards into a single document and covers Queensland matters outside the scope of, and in addition to, the Building Code of Australia.
National Construction Code
The National Construction Code (NCC) provides the minimum necessary requirements for safety, health, amenity and sustainability in the design and construction of new buildings (and new building work in existing buildings) throughout Australia.
The NCC includes:
- Building Code of Australia (BCA), Volume 1, for Class 2 to 9 buildings (commercial, industrial and multi-residential buildings)
- Building Code of Australia (BCA), Volume 2, for Class 1 and 10 buildings (houses, sheds and carports)
- Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA), Volume 3, for plumbing and drainage for all classes of buildings.
Most types of building work require development approval before construction begins. Find out more about building approval and certification.
- Last reviewed: 26 Nov 2019
- Last updated: 26 Nov 2019