Building approvals and inspections

A building development approval (or building permit) is needed before construction can start on most types of domestic building work.

You can get a building approval from your local government or a building certifier.

The building development approval and section 44 of the Building Regulation 2021 address inspection requirements.

This guide has information about the role of building certifiers, competent persons and cadets, when you need approvals, and the various inspection stages.