Classes of electrical work licences
To perform specific types of licensed electrical work, you must hold the relevant electrical licence.
Electrical mechanic licence/open electrical work licence
An electrical mechanic licence authorises all electrical work such as:
- installing or changing an overhead electrical line
- installing electrical wiring
- repairing any electrical equipment.
Electrical linesperson licence
An electrical linesperson licence allows you to perform all electric line work such as:
- building or maintaining an overhead electric line
- building or maintaining an underground electric line
- testing of overhead electric lines.
Electrical fitter licence
An electrical fitter licence allows you to perform electrical equipment work such as:
- rewinding and repairing an electric motor
- building and assembling a switchboard
- maintaining/repairing electrical equipment.
Electrical jointer licence
An electrical jointer licence allows you to perform electrical equipment work such as:
- limited specialist installing, jointing and terminating of electrical cables
- work relating to electrical cables and equipment such as jointing and terminating a high voltage cable.
Restricted electrical work licence
The restricted electrical work licence limits you to specific electrical work associated with a trade or calling. For example, a refrigeration mechanic requires a restricted electrical licence to work on electrical equipment of refrigeration systems.
Electrical work training permit
This is a training licence that allows electrical work to be performed under specified conditions while being trained.