Applying for an electrical work licence
Electrical work licence for apprentices
If you have electrical apprentices nearing completion, you should ensure they transition to licensed status if continuing to perform electrical work under your employment. If you have a worker that has completed their apprenticeship you can apply by completing an application for an electrical work licence for apprentices.
Electrical work licence for permit holders
An electrical work training permit allows eligible persons to undertake training to achieve competency in electrical work necessary to meet the eligibility requirements for an electrical work licence.
Permit holders may need to complete a structured on-the-job and off-the-job training program coordinated by a supervising registered training organisation. If you are a training permit holder and have completed your training, you will need to apply for an electrical licence by completing an application for electrical work licence (permit holders).
Electrical work licence/permit (other than apprentice)
An electrical work training permit allows an eligible person to train and gain the experience necessary to meet the eligibility requirements for an electrical work licence.
Permit holders may need to complete a structured on-the-job training program coordinated by a supervising Registered Training Organisation.
An electrical work training permit is issued for 1 year.
You can hold an electrical work training permit if you:
- have completed the term of an electrical apprenticeship but have not completed the required training
- are eligible for a restricted electrical licence and who need on job experience under supervision
- are eligible to train for an additional licence endorsement.
To apply, you must complete an application for electrical work licence (other than apprentice).
- For an Electrical Work Training Permit summary visit the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS).
- Find more information about safety in the electricity industry.
- Last reviewed: 15 Nov 2017
- Last updated: 23 Sep 2016
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Visit the Electrical Safety Office website.