Finding a business adviser
Finding the right business adviser involves researching the marketplace and then choosing an adviser that suits your specific needs. The following sources will help you compile a shortlist of people and organisations.
Business and social networks
Start by talking with your family, friends, business networks and industry associations. Find out about their experiences with business advisers and see if you can get some good recommendations. If someone you trust is happy with their adviser, consider including them on your shortlist.
Many professional associations have databases of their members, which you can use to start finding potential business advisers in your area:
- The Financial Planning Association's (FPA) find a financial planner service lists advisers who are FPA members.
- The National Insurance Brokers Association can help you to find a qualified insurance broker in your area.
- CPA Australia provides a find a CPA or financial planner service to help you find an accountant or financial adviser.
- The Institute of Public Accountants has a find an accountant service.
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia Search has a database of chartered accountants.
- The Queensland Law Society has a database of solicitors and legal firms.
- The Australian Bankers' Association (ABA) is the national association of licensed banks in Australia.
Your local council may offer a business adviser service to help to start, run and grow your business with targeted support for your local area.
Search the Queensland local government directory to find contact details for your local council.
Other online databases
- The Australian Government's Business experts and advisers tool can help you locate government business advisory services in your area.
- The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys has a database of patent and trademark attorneys and legal firms.
- Yellow pages online lists a range of different business advisers by profession.
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 28/04/2021
- Payroll tax: Contractor provisions 29/04/2021