Accelerate Indigenous small business grants
The Accelerate Indigenous Small Business Grants Program provides targeted assistance to small businesses that demonstrate growth and employment aspirations to enable them to engage high-level expertise for their business.
About the grant
Grant funding is available to help eligible Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander small business owners engage business mentors, coaches, or an advisory board for 6-12 months. The objectives of the program are to:
- enable small businesses to grow and employ more Queenslanders
- increase the capabilities of small business owners
- improve business confidence and sustainability
- assist small businesses grow to medium-sized businesses
- enable more small businesses to embrace new opportunities.
Grant funding of up to $20,000 (excluding GST) may be provided to eligible Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses to engage business mentors, coaches or an advisory board for 6-12 months. The purpose is to provide high-level expertise to encourage growth and job creation through business expansion.
Two grant payments will be made directly to the business, with 50% paid on grant approval and receipt of a valid tax invoice from the applicant.
A further 50% will be paid when the project has been successfully completed.
To be eligible for this grant, the business must:
- be an Indigenous business that is 50% or more Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander owned (applicants may be asked to provide confirmation of Aboriginality)
- have a minimum of 3 years trading history
- have a minimum turnover of $350,000
- have a maximum of 20 employees at the time of application
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- have Queensland headquarters or significant Queensland operations
- have competitive opportunities in domestic or international markets
- be experiencing growth and have clearly defined growth opportunities
- declare if any owners or directors of the business are an undischarged bankrupt or insolvent.
Participating businesses must provide a progress report after 3 months and a final report on completion of the project. The final report must outline the advice received, its implementation, and the impact on the business (including results and outcomes achieved).
Businesses will be surveyed 12 months after the completion of the project.
Only 1 application per year will be accepted from an individual ABN or business address.
Applications have now closed.
Who should apply
Established Queensland-based Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander small businesses that are financially sound and have the potential for growth within the next 2 years.
When applying, read the Accelerate Indigenous Small Business Grants Program Application Guidelines.
How to apply
When applying, refer to the:
Your application must contain all the information specified in the application form and should be submitted online. If you cannot apply online, email your details to IndigenousBusiness@dtesb.qld.gov.au and you will be contacted about other options.
How you will be assessed
All applications will be assessed against both eligibility and assessment criteria.
Assessment criteria includes:
- the extent to which the services will support the development of the business
- potential and likelihood the activity will deliver more jobs
- value for money.
Applicants will need to meet both the eligibility criteria and show merit against the assessment criteria to be successful.
For more information about the grant, phone the Office of Small Business on 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or email IndigenousBusiness@dtesb.qld.gov.au.
- Find out about other grants and business support.
- Last reviewed: 19 May 2017
- Last updated: 19 May 2017