Small Business Entrepreneur Grants Program
The Small Business Entrepreneur Grants Program provides new small businesses access to professional advice and support in the critical early stages of establishing a business.
Matched funding of up to $5,000 (excluding GST) may be provided to eligible businesses to engage a consultant, advisor, or business coach to help establish or develop the business. The advice must fall under 1 or more of the following areas:
- professional business, tax, computing, legal or financial (accounting) advice
- business and strategic planning
- market research and marketing strategies, including branding strategies and social media/digital strategies.
Payment will be made directly to the business on completion of the project and on presentation of proof of payment for the service. The value of the grant payment will be increased to compensate for any GST.
To be eligible the business must:
- have a business name registered within the last 4 years
- have fewer than 20 employees at the time of applying for the grant
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be registered for GST
- be based in Queensland
- declare if any owners or directors of the business are an undischarged bankrupt or insolvent.
The participating business must provide a project report on completion of the project detailing how the funds were spent and the impact it has had on the business.
What we won't fund
The grant is specifically aimed at funding businesses to engage a consultant, advisor, or business coach. We will not fund the following activities:
- fees for services provided by related parties (such as companies with common shareholdings or directorship with the applicant, and employees or immediate family of the applicant)
- franchise fees or related costs
- direct-selling businesses – where sales of another business's goods or services are made in the customer's home, work or other meeting place through methods such as party plan
- purchase of assets, such as stock
- general business operating costs (including bookkeeping/accounting and tax returns)
- search engine optimisation (SEO), Google AdWords, Facebook advertising or similar expenses
- retrospective payments for expenses already incurred or work already undertaken
- subscriptions, including cloud (software) services.
Round 1 has now closed.
Further rounds will open in mid and late 2017. Dates to be confirmed.
Businesses will be surveyed 12 months after the completion of the project.
Read the following:
- Small Business Entrepreneur Grants Program application guidelines
- Small Business Entrepreneur Grants terms and conditions.
How to apply
We are currently not accepting applications. The next round will open mid 2017.
How you will be assessed
All applications will be assessed against the eligibility criteria. Further assessment will include:
- the extent to which the service will support establishment and development of the business
- the extent to which the service will enhance the owner's skills and abilities
- potential business improvements
- value for money.
For further information about the program and application process, refer to the application guidelines or call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
- Last reviewed: 03 Mar 2017
- Last updated: 03 Mar 2017