The Department of Environment and Science (DES) is required to collect, manage, use and disclose personal information in accordance with legislation, policies and procedures in the course of our day-to-day activities. DES understands that, as visitors to and users of our Online Services, you are concerned about your privacy, and the confidentiality and security of information you provide. DES is committed to protecting the privacy, accuracy and security of your personal information in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009.
Why your personal information is being collected through our Online Services
DES collects your personal information for the processing and assessment of applications made through our Online Services or to determine your suitability as a registered suitable operator, and to undertake our regulatory function.
The personal information that is collected may also be used within the system to distinguish between entities.
Laws that allow or require the collection of personal information
The collection of personal information is authorised under the following legislation:
- Environmental Protection Act 1994
- Nature Conservation Act 1992 (except to the extent that it is relevant to demonstrated and exhibited native animals and to the extent that it is relevant to the management of protected area estate and forest reserves, not including nature refuges) (jointly administered by the Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries and the Minister for Sport)
- Coastal Protection and Management Act 1995
- Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011.
For information on our legislative authority to collect information for specific applications, contact our Customer Service Team on 1300 130 372 (option 4).
Entities to which DES may disclose your personal information
Your personal information may be disclosed to:
- Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy for the purpose of:
- processing and assessing applications, the joint regulation of mining activities or the administration of the Regional Planning Interests Act 2014
- processing and assessing applications for the administration of the Mineral and Energy Resources (Common Provisions Act) 2014 and the Mineral and Energy Resources (Financial Provisioning) Act 2018.
- Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) for the purpose of processing and assessing applications
- Department of Fisheries, Department of Health, or the Australian Defence Force in order to investigate biosecurity or health issues, or allegations of unlawful activity, if required
- non-government organisations such as the RSPCA Queensland and the Queensland Wildlife Rehabilitation Council for the purpose of improving standards of native animal care
- an administering authority of another state or territory under a corresponding law, or the Commissioner of the Queensland Police Service (QPS) for the purpose of obtaining a suitability report. If the Commissioner of the QPS is asked for a report, the Commissioner may disclose your information to officials administering police services in other Australian jurisdictions for information relevant to the suitability report.
The name, address and organisation number of approved suitable operators will be disclosed on the register of suitable operators which is publicly available on the DES website.
Your personal information will not be disclosed to any other person or agency unless you have given us permission or we are authorised or required by law (including the Right to Information Act 2009 and Evidence Act 1977). The information collected will be retained as required by the Public Records Act 2002.
- Last reviewed: 3 Jul 2019
- Last updated: 18 Aug 2020
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Technical support for Online Services:
- Mon-Fri 8.30am–4.30pm AEST (except public holidays)
- Phone: 1300 130 372 (option 6)
- Email: email@example.com