Legal obligations when training staff

As an employer, you are legally obliged to make sure your staff are trained to do their jobs safely. Certain industries also require specific training. Remember to keep a record of any training your staff complete.

Work health and safety training

As an employer, you must provide work health and safety training in order to keep your workplace safe for you, your staff and any visitors or customers.

You need to train your staff when they start working for you and provide regular refresher training. If you have made any changes to your business (e.g. to equipment, materials or processes), you will need to update your training. Providing training can reduce the chances of workplace incidents and injuries.

Read more about keeping your workplace safe.

First aid

First aid arrangements, and accessible equipment and facilities must be available to your staff.

Learn more about your first aid obligations.

Read the First aid in the workplace code of practice 2021 (PDF, 491KB).

WHS induction training

You must include work health and safety training in inductions for new and returning staff. Pandemic risk management training must also be provided to staff.

Learn more about staff inductions.

Changes to work health and safety legislation

Queensland's work health and safety laws changed on 1 January 2012. This new legislation brings a majority of Australian states and territories together under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.

Fire and emergency training

You must make sure your staff know what to do in the event of a fire or other emergency. You must provide regular evacuation training for staff so they understand emergency procedures, including evacuation instructions, assembly point locations and use of fire alarms and equipment.

As a business owner or manager occupying a building in Queensland, you have a legal obligation to ensure the safety of any person in that building in the event of a fire or other emergency. It is also a legal requirement that you practice an evacuation annually as part of your training.

Learn more about fire safety and training and emergency planning requirements.

Personal protective equipment (PPE)

If your staff need to use PPE in order to keep safe when they're doing their jobs, you need to make sure they are properly trained. Training should cover arrangements for providing, using, storing and maintaining PPE.

Industry-specific training

Certain industries and job roles will require specific training. For example, if your staff need to drive a truck, forklift or operate machinery, you must make sure they have the appropriate licences.

Some key examples of industry and job-specific training are:

Security and cash

You should make sure that your staff are trained to use security equipment and understand cash management procedures. Staff should also be trained to be prepared in the event of an attempted robbery. Find out more about protecting your business from crime and personal safety in the workplace.

Read the Cash in transit code of practice 2011 (PDF, 762KB).

Liquor and gaming

If your business serves liquor, you must have a liquor licence. Each person on your liquor licence must undertake the responsible management of licensed venues (RMLV) training.

All other staff who serve liquor must undertake the responsible service of alcohol (RSA) training.

If you carry out gaming duties or gaming tasks within a licensed club or licensed hotel, you must complete the approved responsible service of gambling (RSG) training. Find out more about gaming licensing.

Also consider...